Discussion Boards > General Discussion

Prewar 248 box cab.

(1/5) > >>

pjdog350:
I bought another prewar locomotive. A prewar 248. Got it from Jim. He has great stuff. The packing he does is so good there is almost noway it could get damaged in shipping. He is so good at it.

I got the 248 yesterday. One wheel is kaput. Both idler gears are kaput. I knew one wheel was bad. So I had already ordered a wheel set for Bill Harrison at S&W parts supply. Bill has everything. My wheel puller is very poor and I really struggle getting the old wheels off. Was not sure I could get it done. Had to modify the puller a smidgen. However, I did get them off. I saw a much better wheel puller on EBay so I ordered it.

I’m currently taking the 248 apart. Taking pictures as I go s I can get it back together. I’m really impressed with the quality that these old Lionel motors have.

I got another locomotive because I only have the 259E (Which is great) in prewar and I’m enjoying the repairs on prewar. Plus they are great Christmas tree trains. Also enjoying the rolling stock repairs. One locomotive didn’t seem to fill the bill.

Terry:
If you're trying to get a wheel off that will be thrown out, a just drill a hole next to the axle. Not  touching the axle, but a chest hair or so away. The hole should be about or a little bigger than the axle diameter, and does not need to go through the wheel all the way. Then lift the wheel on the rim so the hole you drilled is between the axle and the pry bar. That will bust out the small bit of material and the axle will come into the larger hole.

You don't drill all the way through because then you'd be into the bushing on the frame.

I have giant Craftsman screwdrivers with 1/2" blades that I use for prying.

pjdog350:
Thanks for that Terry. I got lucky and finally got them off. I was worried about the gear attached to the back of one side of the wheels. But they survived OK. I do need both idler gears, which I have ordered from Bill Harrison in New York.

pjdog350:
I've gotten the Lionel PREWAR BOX CAB all apart. Polished the wheels, axles & brass parts. sand blasted the frame & body. plus primed the body. Also, I've gotten the frames from the tank cars primed ready for pant.

I hope I can find idler gears for the 248. both of mine are messed up. I may be able to repair the gears but if new ones are available, I much rather get new ones.

CNJRR:
Nice to have a sand blaster.
What color are you going to paint it?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version