Author Topic: Lionel 027 switches  (Read 8823 times)

lionel11guy

• View Profile
Lionel 027 switches
« on: February 10, 2022, 08:03:23 PM »
Hello! Been a member for a while but this is my 1st time jumping in. Be Gentle! I'm contemplating building a layout and want to do it in 027 gauge as I think the lower profile track gives the trains a better look. I want to run prewar Lionel, Marx and American Flyer and Postwar Lionel and Marx. I also want to have some switching operations on this layout. Is there an 027 non derailing switch that won't derail the above trains? I've read that #1122 & #1122E switches have frogs that interfere with the geared wheels of Marx and AF locomotives. How about the #1121? I know that the #1121 is not non derailing but can be modified to be so. Please, any information you're will to bestow on me will be greatly appreciated! Thank You! Jim

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
Re: Lionel 027 switches
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2022, 09:43:29 PM »
All the Lionel switches will cause problems with Marx and some AF trains.

Why not use MARX switches? You can get the 027 switches cheap, and they made 034 curves and switches for concentric circles. A pair of working 034 switches will set you back maybe $40 - less if you can buy them locally. 

Any Marx switch can be made to be non derailing with a Lionel 1045C or a hacksaw and some insulating pins and old track to get insulation from. 

In the 1990s Lionel made o27 profile track in 42 and 54 (maybe in 72 too) inch diameter circles. In my opinion, the Marx postwar era switches are higher quality than any of the newer Lionel switches.

lionel11guy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2022, 09:58:34 PM »
So Marx 034 switches will allow passage of the trains I want to run?

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2022, 04:53:44 AM »
They should. For a minimal investment, you can check them out. With some trains such as AF locos, you may have to take it slow. Some AF's have those large wiper-type pick-ups. They also have taller flanges on some wheels, so may appear to hobble through the switch. It is a good idea to have at least 1 main line with no switches. That way anything troublesome or that you just want to run FAST, will not result in derailment. Keep us up to date on your layout. There is a category dedicated to layouts where you can post progress, ask questions etc.

lionel11guy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2022, 08:49:22 PM »
Thank you guys! I really appreciate your input. It may take some time due to health conditions but I will keep you posted!