Author Topic: Got an Lionel postwar Erie 2032 on EBay  (Read 14977 times)

pjdog350

• View Profile
Got an Lionel postwar Erie 2032 on EBay
« on: September 13, 2021, 12:00:28 PM »
I got a Lionel postwar Alco 2033on ebay but it has allot of trouble pulling. The motor has the power but my track on my layout is MTH. MTH track does not work well with Magna-traction. So anything more than 6 or 8 cars the Alco just does wheel spin. I cleaned the wheels & track but it has trouble. So I'll just add another power unit and run it backwards. I'll have two motors working. I bought another power unit (2032) on EBay which arrived today. Much to my surprise when I open the box the battery is still in there from who knows when. I tried to get the battery out intact to see if it was an Everyready 1952 battery. But I had to beat the battery out. Now it's a wire wheel job. I’ll see what happens. It's what I love to do and makes the restoration projects worth bring old Lionel back to life!
Stay home with your trains and be safe
Life is better with a Dog

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
Re: Got an Lionel postwar Erie 2032 on EBay
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2021, 04:13:14 AM »
Did the seller of the Erie Alco describe it as being that bad, or was the corrosion a total surprise?
You need to call in Haz-mat to remove the battery.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2021, 05:30:40 AM »
I got on EBay and checked the description of the 2032. I was going to send a nasty gram to the seller. But when I looked over his description he stated ‘Look at all the pictures’ Sold as is. No returns.

The pictures clearly showed massive corrosion with the battery cover on. He never said the 1952 battery was still there but he did show the problem. So it’s not his fault. It’s my fault.

It was a shock to me because all I saw (looked at) was that it was a power unit in the description and cheap. $ 50.53. I think I probably looked at the first picture only cause I didn’t even remember seeing all that the seller provided.

I do this all the time. I see what I want to see not what’s there.  Even when I buy food at the food market. I get home and realize that I messed up?

It will work out. I can get a running power unit to give the 2033 a little help. The motor looks almost new. It’s perfect. The e-unit is a mess. One finger is gone and you can see where the drum has gotten hot and a finger was melted in the plastic of the drum? I’m trying to decide if I want to use just one e-unit for both motors or go the easy route and lock out e-units. One forward and one reverse. The problem with locking out the E-units sometimes it changes anyway. This has happened with the 671 helping the 2033 run pulling 11 cars?

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2021, 04:39:04 PM »
Today I got the 2032 Alco motor and e-unit cleaned and running very well. The frame has been sand blasted and primed and painted matt silver. The shell was washed and painted silver. The trucks had a bath in mineral spirits and turned out very well. Magna-traction sure does collect the metal between the wheels and frame. The first Alco (2033) was so bad it had trouble running. This one had allot of metal but was much easier to remove. The truck on the 2032 look allot better. In fact the motor and trucks look new. E-Unit not so much but does function well. I baked all the painted stuff so I'll start putting this all back together in the morning. The new windows and horn frame will not be here until the 18Th of this month. I already have the trim for the Alco shell. It will now be a 2033 silver UP.

Sure hope with two power units this set will pull on MTH track.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2021, 04:43:47 AM »
Sorry about your Alco deal, but glad you admit you did not look close enough.
We unfortunately have customers who do the same thing, don't read descriptions or look at pictures, then they buy, then they complain.
Customers return items saying it was "not as described" and Ebay always sides with the buyer, doesn't matter how much info the seller provided.
Thanks for posting this story and for making the best of the situation.
It is hard work acquiring, fixing, listing, selling and packing items for sale.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2021, 05:21:47 AM »
This Alco is going to be a great one. It runs like a top. Everything is working out well. The toy train Gods are treating me well.
All I need to do now is the decals and a clear coat. Still waiting on the horn bracket & windows. But it will run until they get here. double headed Alco power units.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2021, 08:41:42 AM »
I have the new Alco running. Put it with the first Alco I had. They pulled 14 postwar cars. I’m real happy with that. My small layout really will not support many more than 14 cars. I’ll get a movie up later.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2021, 05:12:45 AM »
Almost everything is done. I still have the windows and horn bracket in the mail. When they show up I'll get the horn working. But the real reason for this addition of the new power unit was to help the original 2033 get around my layout. The new 2032 painted 2033 has done the trick.

CNJRR

• "The Biggest Little Railroad"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2021, 09:21:20 AM »
Nice job, I have seen that before, if people only knew to take the battery out. :(

Had a Jersey Central FM 2341, that looked like that at the battery compartment.
Tried to show with pictures........pictures too large!

Tried a resize,
 Nope didn't work I reduced the size 50%, didn't take.  :(

romiin

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2021, 09:25:29 AM »
Enjoyed that!  Nice job.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2021, 10:47:02 AM »
CNRJJ - You where almost there. I do mine to 24 or 25%. That makes the width 622 or 648. That always works.
I then save the results in a folder called 'Small'. makes it easy to find then!

Good luck. I'd like to see your FM!

Jack

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2021, 11:26:46 AM »
It depends on your phone or other camera you are using. Photos taken with my Samsung Galaxy S6 have to be reduced down to 9% in order for them to work with this program.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2021, 05:10:09 PM »
I’m not smart enough to use my Phone for these train pictures. I use my laptop computer. Windows 10. Pictures always work at 25%.