Author Topic: lionel modeled there engines from these??  (Read 11735 times)

romiin

lionel modeled there engines from these??
« on: September 14, 2021, 08:57:18 PM »
 You guys probably already seen this , but as a rooky collector I thought it was interesting

http://tinplate.open-terrain.org/index.php/Info/LionelMotors

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
Re: lionel modeled there engines from these??
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2021, 04:32:40 AM »
It is true that toy train manufacturers modelled their products after the real thing. This includes Lionel, Am Flyer, Ives and yes, even Marx.

When I was writing for Classic Toy Trains magazine in the late 1980's and early 90's I did an article called "Marx Trains True to Scale" I had noticed that Marx Litho trains copied distinguishing characteristics of the prototype. Good examples of this are the Southern Pacific #6000 diesels. Also many other examples.

The toy manufacturers' early production of steam locos were a bit more loose with "artist's license", but the electrics by the big 3 companies were close to the real thing, as the article you posted pointed out. Lionel, AF and Marx all  quickly manufactured examples of the M-10000, M-10005, Flying Yankees, CBQ Zephyrs etc when these trains were introduced to the public, all about 1934. They saw the value in imitating the modern streamliners. Even Hafner had somewhat-realistic streamliners in the 1930's. Lionel got drawings from GM / EMD when they produced the F3's and NW-2 switchers in the late 1940's.

romiin

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2021, 08:20:48 AM »
     Lots of history..  Is there a link to the article you wrote  (Marx Trains True to Scale) on the internet ?  I would like to read it.  Lots too this train hobby. Loco

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2021, 04:50:03 AM »
I am not sure how CTT's archives works. This was 30 years ago, so a lot of other information has berried it.
My personal archives are in boxes in the basement, so would even be hard for me to find.
I will snoop around on the internet and see if I can find it.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2021, 05:03:46 AM »
I searched Classic Toy Trains Archives and found a site, not a CTT site, but by someone who has the magazines. I could not identify the specific issue, but it would be late 1990 or early 1991. They offer a free trial with unlimited access. I did not go down that path, but you might try it. Good luck, and let me know if you find it. I will try to find my hard copies of the magazines, meanwhile.

romiin

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2021, 09:27:00 AM »
 Thanks

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2021, 11:20:00 AM »
I found my hard copy, it is the December 1992 issue, later than I thought. You can view the issue on CTT archives web site, but have to be a member. There is a trial membership option, but they probably want a credit card, then you would have to cancel quickly, might be a pain. I took a few snaps of the article and will post below.
I hope this works.
The article is called Marx-true to prototype

romiin

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2021, 02:06:58 PM »
 I'll see  how much of my right arm they want to read it. Thanks

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2021, 05:44:11 PM »
I hope you find it worthwhile. If you do sign-up, I wrote quite a few articles starting late 1990, many on Marx.
You will also see ads start to appear for the new Marx Trains that we produced and 2 articles about the company Marx Trains. One was Marx discovered in Miami.