Author Topic: Lionel Prewar Remote Couplers  (Read 10566 times)

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
Lionel Prewar Remote Couplers
« on: May 19, 2020, 12:39:18 PM »
In the 2245T tender thread, Jim asked when plastic nibs started on the coupler slider shoes.

Here's his picture:

I saw this instruction sheet and figured it might have clues about the evolution of the remote coupler.

(Click on picture to open viewer, then click on box with arrow in corner to supersize it so you can read it. Use triangles to move to next picture to see back side.)

Copyrigt date of 11-38:

These talk about fibre board insulating sheets that a service station can attach to couplers.  I've never seen these sheilds. From reading the sheet it sounds like it was an envelope with sheilds and instruction sheet.

This show Lionel was aware of problems with the couplers in 1938. 

Maybe items might help dating couplers. The 1939 2226W tender that my Grandfather bought in Dec. 1939 does not have nibs.

Both my 3814 Merchandise cars with decals do have nibs. That car was introduced in 1939.

Terry

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
Re: Lionel Prewar Remote Couplers
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2020, 05:13:47 AM »
Some interesting information. I think Lionel downplayed the tendency of auto couplers to open, especially on 072 switches. I handle a lot of prewar trains, selling on the internet, and have seen many modifications to correct the problem. It looks to me as if operators favored running long trains without separation problems over the ability to uncouple between every car. I have seen pick-up shoes, removed, taped with electrical or medical tape, coupler hoods wired or glued shut. I try to put things back to factory, but for my own operating use solve the problem by alternating auto with non-auto coupler cars. For example a boxcar consist would be 814, 2814, 814, 2814. This way only one coupler at each union had the tendency to open on a switch.
The plastic nib was probably Lionel's "fix" to slightly elevate the shoe as it passed over switches and hopefully not make electrical contact.......until the nib wore-down. The raised edges on the 1940-42 coupler shoes (also 1939 2600 series) provided the same fix, until wear brought back the problem.