Author Topic: Lionel trains marked for export  (Read 13428 times)

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
Lionel trains marked for export
« on: August 24, 2020, 02:41:16 AM »
In the thread on odd Lionel 250 series locos, I posted a photo of an export 4 loco with 254 plates.

I don't have a picture of the interior stamp of the 254, but here's three 800 series cars marked for export:

I bought those at a TCA convention in the late 1980s, and sold them with the rest of the trains made after 1925.

I know there are small 1930s era 4 wheel cars with the same stamp, and also passenger cars in the 610 and 607 series.  I think I saw a red top Flying Yankee with the cars but not the engine marked with similar stamps.

This is an unexplored area of Lionel Collecting.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
Re: Lionel trains marked for export
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2020, 05:44:28 AM »
Here is a 259E freight set with all items marked underside for export with the made in USA stamp

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2020, 05:47:40 AM »
I also have an 800 series freight marked as such, but have not been able to track down its whereabouts.
I recall selling an export set to Paul W. years ago at the Holidome show in York. I think it was an electric passenger set.
Paul, if you are listening can you confirm?
I also remember having a 262 freight set with export marks, but no longer have it.

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2020, 02:06:50 PM »
That's a weird set Jim. Everything in the set has "Made IN USA" on it as a regular marking except the tender, but they are all marked with rubber stamping anyway.

That might be  about the customs people rejecting items as unmarked if they have to look for the marks?

Maybe it was Lionel employees just marking everything because it was faster than looking to see if it was already marked?

Neat stuff.

A short side note here. . .

I can see in the stats that people other than Jim, Mike and me are reading the forum. I know for some of you it's not because you don't have trains to share.  If you're having problems with pictures, here's instructions for Windows10 users.

Some of you might not have trains like these, but you surely have other trains. You can start a thread about your most beat up train, and explain why you kept it rather than upgrading.  That might be an interesting thread. Or something else.

You're welcome to watch without posting, but if you try posting you might find you get more out of the forum.

Terry

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2020, 04:43:42 AM »
I second Terry's comments about participation. We may be showing the cream of our collection's because that is human nature. Every collector, no matter the extent of his/her collection has things or stories that would be of interest. Train collecting is about the history, and sometimes the story can be just as interesting as the item, so let's hear from you !

early0electric

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2020, 03:01:23 PM »
Yep, I agree. The more we add to our knowledge base, the better. Don't be shy.