Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10
General Discussion / Re: The ebay rant.
« Last post by starfire700 on June 12, 2023, 04:05:17 AM »
A recent one that I got was from a supposed police association in Illinois looking for donations to buy safety equipment. I still have an Illinois cell number, but we haven't lived in Illinois since 2006. There is no end to scams, especially on the elderly, which I am on the edge of...........wish I was still on "the edge of 17" as Stevie Nicks said.
« Last post by Terry on June 11, 2023, 07:01:21 PM »
Jim - the ebay scammer is asking people to contact him directly. Then he gets payment directly from buyers who are chasing the "too good to be true deal."

They create a sense of urgency and then try to get gift cards. Gift cards as good as cash.

It sounds weird, but ~Name Removed~ called me last year because the electric utility had called her and wanted her to get them a Walmart gift card to pay her balance due. She was calling me from Walmart because they wouldn't sell her a gift card when she explained what it was for.

To make this point even harder, she pays the utility 1/12 of her expected annual bill each month automatically from her bank account. Then once a year they reconcile the payments and figure the next year's payments.

With e-gift cards you get a code number that is valid, you need nothing but the number to use them. I get Home Depot gift cards from the coin machine at the grocery store. The machine charges 10% to cash in coins, but issues gift cards for no fee. The first thing I do is take a picture of the number so I don't lose it.

I had a collect call today from someone in jail looking for bail money. I didn't recognize the name so I just hung up. THis was a common scam a few years back.
Collector Corner / Re: Lionel Toy Fair Invitations 1924 and 1925
« Last post by early0electric on June 10, 2023, 11:35:51 AM »
I remember the listings. Here's a 1924 that recently sold for $77.01.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/385644185226?

« Last post by starfire700 on June 10, 2023, 03:48:02 AM »
You can buy some nice trains for that much $$.
« Last post by CNJRR on June 07, 2023, 04:45:45 PM »
Do you remember what they sold for?
« Last post by starfire700 on June 07, 2023, 04:12:23 AM »
If I had saved empty packages from everything we buy at Walmart, it would show that everything is getting smaller but more expensive.....shrink-flation.
« Last post by starfire700 on June 07, 2023, 04:09:45 AM »
How does that scam work for the hacker with all the Ebay "protections and rules"? A buyer would be protected if he paid for an item then never got it. The hacker might get away with it once, then ebay would shut them down. Maybe I am mis-understanding this, but I don't see how it can be successful for the hacker.
« Last post by Terry on June 01, 2023, 04:47:52 PM »
The scammers come and go. What's important is recognizing the threat.

There was a guy years ago in Henderson Nevada who sent an ad in to the TTOS exchange. He pocketed tens of thousands of dollars by advertising somewhat desirable trains at good prices. The stuff wasn't cheap, just really attractivly priced.  Lots of people sent checks.

Here's something I saw today:

I knew the box felt smaller. I think the medium flat rate got smaller too, but I don't have any older ones.
« Last post by early0electric on May 29, 2023, 01:47:46 PM »
Terry, I see all that train stuff was taken down. No more 55,000 items, now 21. Still a couple of outrageous items... Forklift and Boom Truck!
« Last post by Terry on May 28, 2023, 05:15:07 PM »
Here's the scammer that I mentioned a few months back again. I did a video of his listings. They are the same as the last time around. He hacks or steals someone's ebay account and lists a bunch of items with instructions tyo email him to buy it now.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10