Author Topic: Live auction.  (Read 16365 times)

romiin

Live auction.
« on: September 14, 2021, 01:56:16 PM »
    Do live auction houses bring a higher dollar value than ebay.  I noticed a couple ebay items that were sold , put on Live Auction.

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
Re: Live auction.
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2021, 05:44:36 PM »
It depends on the item and the auction house. Sometimes buyers will pay an auction house more because they get excited, but that happens on ebay.

What rarely happens on ebay is buyers paying more because of the reputation of the seller. Auction houses get higher reputation points. 

Another thing that helps auction houses is the buyers are even less knowledgable than ebay shoppers. A lot of low information bidders feel getting an item for one bid increment above a knowledgable bidder is worth the money. Because there are more of these bidders at live auctions, there is a higher chance of two of them squaring off.

romiin

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2021, 07:27:10 PM »
interesting... There does seem to be  quality pieces on live auction. Would sellers prefer live auction over ebay or vice versa?

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2021, 01:50:09 AM »
There are benefits to both platforms. . .

ebay is quicker.  List something on ebay and you'll have the money in 2 weeks or less. (ebay has stringent rules about selling computers, phones and other high demand items due to scammers and holds money for those items when sold by new sellers. Trains aren't common scam items and so only higher priced items may result in holds by ebay.)

To sell thru an auction house takes months. I shipped my colelction to Stout in November, and the auction was the next spring. I didn't see money for almost 6 months. He charged 15%. Here in PHX there is only one big auction house that does general merchandise and has online bidding. Their schedule is 8-10 weeks from when you contact them you can drop the items off. They'll be sold 6-10 weeks later. A check is mailed 21 days after the auction. 17 to 23 weeks! They charge 40 percent.

Auction houses sell as is where is. Once they sell it it's done as far as you're concerned. (Actually insurance should cover it once it's dropped off, but theft or loss is such a rare occurence we can ignore it.) If the post office breaks or loses the package the auction house is out, not you. It doesn't matter if the train runs.

ebay can be a nightmare with buyers changing their minds and breaking items so they can be returned. I have this happen about every 600-800 sales. I've had people buy HO trains sealed in the box and then break them because they didn't run on their Lionel track. (One woman actually admitted it in an ebay message and I got to keep all the money and the broken train. Last month, I lost $38 in shipping and had a $40 item become a broken $16 item.)

One problem with auction houses is they sometimes go broke before you get paid. When this happens there are usually complaining sellers for a few months so check the auction house out first.

ebay is a lot of work. It's less work to ship a bunch of trains to one location, than to ship lots of small packages all over.

If the trains are sentimental, an auction house is less emotional than ebay. ebay is like a thousand cuts.

I saw a marx collector last weekend who told me he sold his collection to a guy who did toy buying events. He saw an ad in the paper that a buyer would be at a local hotel for a few days and called. He felt the offer was fair, and the buyer came out and spent 2 long days with a helper packing up the toys.

There are a lot of considerations.

One other point. . .  I talked to some people recently who are dropping trains and collectibles with ebay consignment places. About fifty percent including ebay fees is normal. It's better than throwing it out or giving it to Goodwill, but not by much.

romiin

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2021, 08:39:35 AM »
 Sounds like auction houses have a (you bought it, it's yours) philosophy,  and ebay puts up with a lot of whining.  People breaking things just to return them is pretty bad.  I'm sure you seen it all Terry, if your selling that many items.  For a buyer like myself, ebay just seems easy compared to a auction house,  but have noticed the lack of stuff on ebay lately.  Seems like more buyers than sellers at the moment.

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2021, 01:41:15 PM »
I think the pandemic is masking a huge loss of interest in toy trains.  At this time next year trains will be a lot cheaper.

The rarer items are still desirable, and the well known sellers still have followers who will buy from them, but mostly ebay is just cluttered with trains.

People who were buying projects for later are not buying more.

That's something I didn't mention earlier. With an auction house, there are bidders watching the auction who will bid on items they think are selling cheap. This pushes prices up into the wholesale level. On ebay there is so much clutter a seller cannot assume a dealer will see his item.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2021, 01:51:23 PM »
I knew a year ago that the pandemic would still be here. In Florida is worse than it was a year ago. It will be several years before we see an end to it! You are right about EBay. It’s full of junk.

Stay home with your trains and be safe
Life is better with a Dog

romiin

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2021, 04:41:20 PM »
   If there was a loss of interest, wouldn't ebay be full of better items for sale, that are just not selling, or is sellers just hanging on to the stuff waiting for a better day?

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2021, 08:12:28 PM »
There are a lot of collectors who have stopped buying trains, but aren't willing to sell the ones they have. They are still enjoying their trains.

There are also people who would sell their trains, but can't get the money they want from dealers and aren't willing to do the work of selling themselves. I get a few calls a month from people like this.

romiin

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2021, 11:04:33 PM »
Thanks for clarifying that Terry.

romiin

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2021, 09:08:22 PM »

early0electric

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2021, 09:50:59 PM »
And that was written in 2016!

romiin

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2021, 02:37:54 PM »
 I'm about as unknowledgeable as they get, but looks to me that buyers seem to be fighting over mediocre stuff on ebay.  Good for the seller.  I don't see the market flooded with nice stuff for sale. At least the prewar stuff . If sellers don't flood the market it will keep prices up for them.  I think if something is old and in relatively nice shape it will always sell, or be valuable.  You have to remember they don't make much any more that will be around in a 100 yrs. Most things are plastic and you know how that lasts.  just my 2 cents. Loco

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2021, 05:09:28 PM »
I know the guy who wrote that article from doing local appraisal events. He went bankrupt last year owing a bunch of consignors money.  I was going to drop a bunch of my Nana's china collection off, and one of the local estate sales guys called to let me know. My laziness saved me from getting screwed.

I'm selling nice stuff on eBay and getting only one or two bids above my starting price on much of it. The only surprises I see are for items I know little about. But I have been getting good prices for complete Lionel and AF sets from the late 1940s and early fifties.

The local shows are dead. There were three here in AZ in Sept.  None had  buyers lined up at the door.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2021, 03:57:26 AM »
I have thinned-out some "good" Lionel prewar O and Standard gauge items on Ebay in the last month and gotten more than expected for them. If you have the right items, it still brings-out the right buyers.
The mediocre items do just sit and are subject to offers from Low-ball Louies.