Discussion Boards > Collector Corner

PREWAR TUNNELS

(1/7) > >>

CNJRR:
Post your tunnels you may have here, if you want to.

MARX PREWAR #390 FARM SCENE TUNNEL

This is the Prewar Marx #390 Farm Scene tunnel, it is a common item.

There is also a Marx #309 Camouflage tunnel this is the scarcest one to find, collectors often call this one the autumn leaves tunnel. I think because of the "camouflage" coloring it did not sell in great numbers.
Then there is a Marx #392 Mine Scene tunnel which is also quite common.
Most of these went for around $.98 cent when new. :)

All the tunnels come as two halves joined at the top by interlocking 'fingers' and at each end by either a metal clip (early versions) or a screw (later versions).

This is an earlier version.
I don't know the year, I am guessing middle to late 30's?
This was also saved from the trash/dump pile from my Bro in law.

starfire700:
Good subject! I just love tunnels. Hear are a few of my favorites.
First is Lionel's 1023 composite/felt tunnel, made for Junior trains. It is the late version made as late as 1942, as it is the brighter colors. It sold for between $1.25 and $1.50.
Next is the late 1930's to early 40's 072 curved tunnel/mountain #924 made for Model Builder's track, 072 tube and T-rail. $4.50 bought this tunnel and it came complete with trees and metal houses.
In my picture Errol Flynn is pondering the outdoor layout on the set of the Movie "Four is a Crowd". This 1938 movie should be on every train collector's favorite list as it features an elaborate outdoor layout with Flynn racing his Lionel UP City of Portland streamliner against Walter Connolly's 763E Hudson with Blue Comet cars. In the end, Flynn wins not only the race, he cheats by buttering his opponent's tracks, but also wins the affections of Olivia de Havilland. The #924 072 tunnel should be on this layout. I will have to watch the movie again to check. (Trains in movies) another good subject for someone to start. OOPS, I put the pix in the wrong order, but you get the idea.

starfire700:
Here are 2 more. A Marklin composite and wood tunnel that dates to the 1920's or earlier.
The last example is litho on formed metal, similar in size and construction to the Marx 390 and 392 (and camo Army version).
It has no name of country of origin, has a great "snow scene". I am guessing it was made in Germany between the 1930's and 1950's.
CAN ANYONE IDENTIFY THIS TUNNEL?

CNJRR:
They all look in great shape for the age, I have never seen the one your asking about.
I will keep my eyes open for one.

You can move the pictures around if you want.
Click modify, then copy and paste and move them to the correct order.

Thanks for adding. :)                     

CNJRR:
I wonder if that is a Bing tunnel?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version