Discussion Boards > General Discussion

lionel modeled there engines from these??

(1/2) > >>

romiin:
 You guys probably already seen this , but as a rooky collector I thought it was interesting

http://tinplate.open-terrain.org/index.php/Info/LionelMotors

starfire700:
It is true that toy train manufacturers modelled their products after the real thing. This includes Lionel, Am Flyer, Ives and yes, even Marx.

When I was writing for Classic Toy Trains magazine in the late 1980's and early 90's I did an article called "Marx Trains True to Scale" I had noticed that Marx Litho trains copied distinguishing characteristics of the prototype. Good examples of this are the Southern Pacific #6000 diesels. Also many other examples.

The toy manufacturers' early production of steam locos were a bit more loose with "artist's license", but the electrics by the big 3 companies were close to the real thing, as the article you posted pointed out. Lionel, AF and Marx all  quickly manufactured examples of the M-10000, M-10005, Flying Yankees, CBQ Zephyrs etc when these trains were introduced to the public, all about 1934. They saw the value in imitating the modern streamliners. Even Hafner had somewhat-realistic streamliners in the 1930's. Lionel got drawings from GM / EMD when they produced the F3's and NW-2 switchers in the late 1940's.

romiin:
     Lots of history..  Is there a link to the article you wrote  (Marx Trains True to Scale) on the internet ?  I would like to read it.  Lots too this train hobby. Loco

starfire700:
I am not sure how CTT's archives works. This was 30 years ago, so a lot of other information has berried it.
My personal archives are in boxes in the basement, so would even be hard for me to find.
I will snoop around on the internet and see if I can find it.

starfire700:
I searched Classic Toy Trains Archives and found a site, not a CTT site, but by someone who has the magazines. I could not identify the specific issue, but it would be late 1990 or early 1991. They offer a free trial with unlimited access. I did not go down that path, but you might try it. Good luck, and let me know if you find it. I will try to find my hard copies of the magazines, meanwhile.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version