Author Topic: We're burning up !!  (Read 23859 times)

pjdog350

• View Profile
Re: We're burning up !!
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2021, 05:30:12 PM »
He is not upset with you Loco. It’s my remark about California. Guess I lost control again.
Stay home with your trains and be safe
Life is better with a Dog

romiin

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2021, 06:18:03 PM »
   I don't think it was just you, its not hard to get a rant going these days. I guess the trains are our escape from it all, I think Terry is saying lets stick to that.  Point taken. Loco

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2021, 06:26:11 PM »
I agree!
Stay home with your trains and be safe
Life is better with a Dog

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2021, 07:03:05 PM »
Mike, you need to worry about the boxes not the trains. Here in AZ the boxes just fall apart. I've pulled boxes from attic crawl spaces that were so dried out they crumbled at a touch.

The corrugated boxes de-laminate. Labels fall off. The boxes and paper give off cellulose gas that reacts to bare metal, zinc plated metal, and to some paints and inks. (I commonly find nice boxed postwar Lionel locos with green scum on the valve rods.  There are many Hot Wheels cars brand new in the blister pack with damaged frames and graphics from the outgassing of the cardboard.)

I have 4 prewar Madison cars that were LNOB when I got them in 1996. The cars got ruined because they were wrapped in the white foam used to pack apples and something ATE into the paint. The boxes were complete with all flaps, but now the flaps are just falling off.

After seeing the Madison car boxes last spring, I sold a bunch of the boxes I had and kept the trains. God knows what is happening inside the file box of old catalogs. Those might be in a plastic box. Does that make it worse or better?

Think about this. . . I packed my trains up and moved them from one air-conditioned room to another. I packed them in Feb/March of 2019. All the early period trains were unpacked by April 2019. I'm still unpacking the trains that go on the layouts now in June 2021. The newsprint is dried out and easily tears. The older paper in boxes packed 2-3 years ago is falling apart. 

I tried years ago to get an archivist to do an interview with me years ago about preserving these old toys, but couldn't find anyone.

early0electric

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2021, 07:40:12 PM »
Interesting comment. As I believe I've mentioned before, my boxed sets are back in the boxes due to lack of shelf space. I suppose I could take the contents out and start angling the trains on the shelves. (What a I saying? I already do that.) That kind of defeats the purpose of the shelves though, as the more I angle the trains, the less I see of them.Then there's the track, rheostats and such. I suppose those could stay in the boxes. But then where do I keep the outfit boxes? My intent was to keep things together instead of being spread out here and there. My catalogs, ads, and other paper are in archival sleeves so I don't worry much about them. I guess I'll have to keep a closer eye for deterioration on my boxed outfits and go through them more often.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2021, 06:16:29 AM »
Right, the Forum is no place for politics.

CNJRR

• "The Biggest Little Railroad"
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2021, 09:38:53 AM »
About 60* in my basement in the summer, here in NJ. A bit colder in the winter, I use a portable heater to heat it up some.
The trains and me stay cool in the summer.
Sometimes I turn off my central air when I go down in the basement because it is too cold down there.
Going down now to vacuum, mainly to get the spiders. Then I apply some pet friendly insect spray to try to keep the spider population down.
This week high in the 90's with high humidity. I just weeded my small garden and watered the plants, I am soaked in sweat!
Now down to the cool dungeon. :)

early0electric

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2021, 12:54:08 PM »
Yeah, we are also in the 90's here in SE Michigan. Can't do much outside. Train room is 75 but with low humidity so it feels comfortable. Enjoy the cool in your basement.