Author Topic: 2021 TCA Convention Review  (Read 8749 times)

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
2021 TCA Convention Review
« on: August 22, 2021, 01:35:33 PM »
I got back from the convention last night. I went over Thursday, and then left Friday afternoon.

Attendance was sparse. The regular monthly LA meets I went to before the pandemic were larger in terms of tables and shoppers. The hall opened for sellers a 7AM on Friday. Usually there is a line of people at the doors.

Nope. I just walked right in and until about 7:30 there were only a few people setting up. They let the buyers in at 8:30 instead of 9, and there was no rush or crowd.

The Trains: This show brought collectors in from the surrounding states so there was a much higher quality of trains than the regular LA meets.  Lots of nice standard gauge and prewar. 25 years ago people would have been fighting over the trains, but now they just sit there.

I did two tables of nice stuff, and sold almost nothing. The Flyer standard gauge sets just sat. There were 4 blue litho Pres. Specials, and 3 brown ones.

I bought this little trolley because I am still collecting:

Getting it was worth the whole show.

The Social Activities: The restaurants and bars were either closed or set up with distancing and mask requirements so there were no groups of collectors to hang out with. In the '80s and '90s the hotel bars were fun places to hang out in, but as the collectors got older bedtimes come earlier.

I don't do the TCA tours and such. The week before the convention I called and begged invitations to see collections. Because I only had one night to go visiting, I only saw one collection. A wonderful Chicago Flyer collection. I spent  3 hours there and could have easily spent 8 more and not seen everything.

I had fun. I got something neat for the collection, and got rid of some of my duplicates. I got to hang out with other collectors, and see some wonderful trains.

PS I had money in my pocket on my way out so I bought these:

I have that 42 with a Lionel Lines stamp on the end, so it's a variation, and it was cheap. The blue on the trolley has been painted over. I looked at it outside in the sunlight and thought maybe I can get the overpaint off. Now that I have it home, I doubt it. It was cheap enough that I can sell it to a restorer for what I paid.

Prewarkid55

• View Profile
Re: 2021 TCA Convention Review
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2021, 05:05:01 PM »
 I too was at the 2021 TCA Convention. It was held at the Marriott in Burbank. I attended opening day of trading on Friday, August 20. A large amount of train layouts were out and running in front of the exhibit hall. There must of been a half a dozen or more, representing every gauge and theme. They included those that were whimsical to the highly detailed. The display cases held many gems that any train buff would enjoy studying or gawking at. They were located at the entrance to the trading hall.
 As a collector, I knew I hit the jackpot when I entered the Train Marketplace. The quality and quantity of trains was impressive. As I made my way through the convention hall I spied an early prewar 150 O gauge peacock blue locomotive next to an olive green 901 gondola. Naturally, I began searching for the person who runs the table. No one around seems to know whose table it is. So I went into plan B. Hide the 150 locomotive out of sight from others behind other trains on the table, and search for the seller. Just as I finished hiding the train (behind other larger trains on the seller's display table) who should walk up and say hello, none other than Terry from Arizona. A deal was struck and I'm thrilled to have found my "gem" at the TCA National Convention. Thanks Terry.

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2021, 09:17:46 PM »
everyone knows me, but no one will admit it.

Like my dad. Most people liked him, a few hated him, but EVERYONE knew him.

If you dig around here on the forum you'll see lots of early Lionel O gauge. Hewre's agood one to start with. We all added to our want lists with this thread:

https://www.train99.com/forum/index.php?topic=27.0

Welcome aboard.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2021, 05:36:13 AM »
I knew your Dad, only saw him at York, yes I liked him.