Discussion Boards > General Discussion

Interesting Auction Items

<< < (65/66) > >>

starfire700:
Sounds suspicious if the seller won't answer questions or provide more pictures.

Terry:
I've got great deals from him in the past because he's focused on whatever he collects and lists the rest in large bundles. He never responded to my questions so I bought the 50 loco, and got it today. It's repainted. It also was just wrapped in a single sheet of small bubble wrap and then put in a large box where it bounced it way across the country first by Fedex, then by USPS to my place.

I never use the Fedex/USPS shipping option because I think it increases the chances of damage.

Here's what it looks like now:

It will be back in the mail to him tomorrow.

I get upset with buyers who don't take the time to read my descriptions. Last month one lazy buyer cost me $62 in round trip shipping. 

But I missed out on a late 42 in this dark olive color a while back because I thought it was repainted and someone else grabbed it.

With ebay there is no risk involved, so I might as well buy it.  If it's not as described return it with a not as described claim so I get postage both ways back. I could also have returned this as damaged and gotten shipping both ways back too!

This is the third or fourth time I've returned ebay purchases because they weren't as described. That's in 25 years of buying on ebay.

Terry:
Here's an interesting train set:

The listing says the loco box is dated 1930. I had that loco with and without the stripe. I think the stripe version is more common. The observation is common. Check out the factory error baggage with end doors. You see those in orange, but not often in other colors.

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/170189692_lionel-bailey-special-train-set-w-box

This 1930 Bailey Special Set looks to be assembled from obsolete inventory. They probably painted the locos up to match the cars. I think they did the same with the 253 in dark green with orange windows/cast headlight to get rid of dark green 610 cars.

early0electric:
Nice clean looking outfit!  I never heard of Bailey's or a Bailey Special. I wonder what the History and Newspaper ads are that they mention.

Terry:
Here's a 114 boxcar for Harmony Creamory:

This one has been painted black everywhere except for the decaled areas. The blue cover TCA book shows a 114 like this that isn't repainted so at least 2 of these exist.

Here's the Stout listing if you want to see more pictures or follow the auction:

https://www.invaluable.com/auction-lot/lionel-prewar-std-ga-114-scarce-b-o-boxcar-built--081497b921

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version