Author Topic: Poor man’s M10000  (Read 26013 times)

pjdog350

• View Profile
Poor man’s M10000
« on: May 15, 2021, 10:33:29 AM »
I’m going to try again to paint a 5 car Lionel Jr 1700 like a M10000. I’ve removed the paint. Washed the parts to get dust and sand off. Primed everything. It’s currently in the oven to dry the primer.
Stay home with your trains and be safe
Life is better with a Dog

pjdog350

• View Profile
Re: Poor man’s M10000
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2021, 04:44:29 AM »
Got the frames , front nose and rear observation painted brown. I was not sure what to do with the inside of the car bodies so I painted them brown. The vestibules are painted yellow. They are in the oven drying now.

It’s so frustrating when you know you have something but can’t  find it. I have painting tape but it appears to be hiding. I’ll make a trip to the hardware and get more.

I didn’t want to get out of bed this morning but the wind is almost nothing and I paint outside so I got up and painted. Glad I did. The paint went well not fighting the wind. If I was younger I’d make a paint booth! But I only have one more 1700 to do and I think I’ll retire again! I don’t like the paint job on the all silver 1700. I’m trying to think of another color for it! 

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2021, 05:45:42 AM »
Sounds like you have good luck with the 1700's. I have always had problems losing tabs when restoring.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2021, 06:28:13 AM »
WHen I put the red & chrome 1700 along with the 259e for a prewar day one of the red & Chrome cars tabs broke off. The side was sticking way out. I replace the brass tabs with copper. Seems to be holding up? Time will tell?

I don’t bend the tabs all the way down when restoring. I twist the tabs just a little. You will get better results this way!

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2021, 05:05:16 AM »
This morning I was able to paint the sides of the car bodies yellow. Also got the trucks mounted back to the car frames. I hope the painting of the car body tops brown goes as well as all the rest of this project has gone. Everything seems to be going very well. That’s not normal for me. I almost always have trouble doing project like this. The toy train gods seem to be with me lately???

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2021, 02:04:53 PM »
Pictures of Lionel Jr painted M10000. Almost done!

Paint the tops(roof) and they will be ready to put back together!
Wish the brown was a little darker!

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2021, 05:12:10 AM »
The toy trains gods where good to me again this morning. I thought at first I was going to pay the price  for saying anything yesterday. First I got up an hour late. They my gloves where wet and I could not get them on and I was already late. I thought I was going to lose the day.

Then Benjamin (The Dog) wanted to go out and he was real upset that I was headed to the man cave so Benjamin is the train railroad President so I gave in and he went out to check out the yard and chased everything away. I looked at the clock and I had 20 minutes to mask the five cars, Paint them, and get them in the oven! The gods where with me again and all went well. They are painted and in the oven.

I did have a small problem in that I guess I didn’t get the masking tape tight on one cars side and there is a little bleeding but I’ll work that later.

I hope to post some pictures when they come out of the oven. I’ll so very happy with this project so far. I hope they will go back together with out any scratching. 1700’s are hard to get the tabs in with out any damage. SO I hope the gods will stay with me.

Life is better with a DOG!!!!!

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2021, 04:21:40 PM »
Will start assembly in the morning.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2021, 04:46:03 AM »
Everything about this project has been perfect until today. While putting the cars together everything was going great. I didn't scratch anything with the tabs while assembling. Paint's is good I'm finding everything! I got 4 cars together and started putting the 1700 power unit together. I got the front and attached it to the body. That went well. Put the exhaust pipes on, added the front light cover. Now I'm ready to put the car body on the frame. But first I must put the vestibule in place. There is it. I looked everywhere. No vestibule????? I should have had five but there's only been four? First thing I though of was my first wife stole one. But she's in Indianapolis. She's to cheap to drive here just to mess with me? I think!

When I took the train apart there was five, when I sand blasted there was five, when I painted ?????? there was only four??????  What the hell!  Some where between when I blasted the trains parts and painted them I lost one of the vestibules. I don't think I have the skill to make one.   I knew the toy train Gods would get me sooner or later. Miss Sharon had a bad night so I did too. Now a lost vestibule?

I hate to rob one of the other projects but at this point I must. I've primed a vestibule off the Orange & Chrome windup project. It's in the oven. So I'm on hold until I can get a Yellow vestibule.

NUTS!!!!!!

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2021, 04:52:45 AM »
Of the six (6) Lionel Jr streamline trains I have. This is by far my favorite.

Think I may do another one.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2021, 04:35:16 AM »
When you start a project you don't stop until it is done, great dedication. Also nice results, the yellow/brown streamliner looks great.
Just an FYI, you mentioned a problem with paint bleed under masking tape, though I did not notice it.
I have used different thicknesses of striping tape that I got at an art store, made by Chartpak, to hide the line between colors when needed. Not sure if this is still available, because art of this type is all done on computers, not the drawing board now. I used it a lot in the 1990's when making prototypes for Marx Trains. I would clear-coat the model after, to help keep the tape secure.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2021, 05:20:03 AM »
I had the problem with just one car on one side. The rest are good.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2021, 04:31:17 AM »
That is not bad bleed. As I said the tape stripes I talked about would fix it right up. It might look good with red pin stripes.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2021, 04:33:51 AM »
I looked and Chartpak tape is still available, and is on Amazon.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2021, 04:46:00 AM »
Jim after reading your post about the chartpak tape I went to ebay and found a 10 pack of that tape. Only $ 13.00 so I got it. Has allot of different colors. I was thinking of red or maybe black. Should be here this week. Thanks for the help with that.

I really like this train. I love the colors on the 1700.