Author Topic: which electric engine goes with a 219 crane car?  (Read 24179 times)

romiin

which electric engine goes with a 219 crane car?
« on: October 08, 2021, 03:53:32 PM »
I was looking at buying a 10E engine, but was wondering if it is too small to match the 219 crane. thanks

Brian Miller

• View Profile
Re: which electric engine goes with a 219 crane car?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2021, 04:32:26 PM »
Too small.  The only sets that had a crane were the work trains.  380, 390e, and the 400e.

romiin

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2021, 04:59:50 PM »
thanks for the reply. I will look for a 380. I like the electric engines. You saved me from buying the wrong one. Is 318 too small as well? Learning lots. Loco

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2021, 04:07:37 AM »
You really would benefit from buying the TCA Standard of the World book. I have seen them on Ebay for under $20 and it will answer most of your questions.

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2021, 05:16:36 AM »
I agree with Jim's advice.

Get the TCA book with the BLUE cover. That's the second edition. A little more information for no additional cost.

early0electric

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2021, 01:01:22 PM »
The TCA Standard of The World won't tell you what cars went with what loco's. I suggest Greenberg's Guide to Lionel Prewar Sets Vol IV by Dave McEntarfer. It's expensive but it can be found for under $100. It'll tell you everything you need to know about Lionel outfits.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2021, 04:44:27 AM »
No, it won't but it will provide an understanding of the different eras and series' of cars and locos in standard and O gauge. It will help to match cars by not only size but by coupler and truck type, information that is essential in set make-up. The Standard of the World is the basis for understanding set make-up, a foundation for the set book.

We take for granted the knowledge that we have of the different series of cars and locos and the trucks and couplers that help define these series', which is in the Standard of the World.

The set book only tells what cars and locos went in what boxes, but does not describe the differences so we understand why. The set book has no illustrations of trucks and couplers, essential in understanding correct set make-up.

So, yes get the set book too, but read and understand Standard of the World first.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2021, 04:59:44 AM »
As Terry said it is the blue cover book, second edition, usually found with a dust cover that has Lionel orange and blue on the top. Make sure that one you buy includes the color chip chart for paint colors. The chips are not all "spot-on" but are a good basis for comparison.

early0electric

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2021, 09:14:33 AM »
Yes, you definitely need to know component vintage along with everything else. It's not something you're going be proficient with for a while. These are reference books, the basis for your knowledge and so you can be and speak intelligently about your collection.

romiin

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2021, 07:46:40 PM »

While quite common in their day, these Lionel standard gauge locos
were hard to find this time around.   
Standard gauge is no longer the standard

When the TCA was founded, the members were mostly interested in toy trains from 1900-1920. At that time, a "standard gauge" was developed. The trains were big -- standard gauge track is about 2-1/8" wide from outside rail to outside rail. By contrast, in HO gauge the rails are about 0.64 of an inch apart. Standard gauge lasted through 1929, and for a long time standard gauge trains were highly desirable.

Over time, the demand has remained high for the few top of the line examples (mostly from 1928-1929), while slowly declining for the rest. This time around we saw only two examples of those highly desirable pieces, and a dearth of other standard gauge. But then, the demographic that most wanted those pieces has passed on.  I never grew up in this era, but I think they are the coolest.

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2021, 11:29:13 PM »

While quite common in their day, these Lionel standard gauge locos
were hard to find this time around.   
Standard gauge is no longer the standard

When the TCA was founded, the members were mostly interested in toy trains from 1900-1920. At that time, a "standard gauge" was developed. The trains were big -- standard gauge track is about 2-1/8" wide from outside rail to outside rail. By contrast, in HO gauge the rails are about 0.64 of an inch apart. Standard gauge lasted through 1929, and for a long time standard gauge trains were highly desirable.

Over time, the demand has remained high for the few top of the line examples (mostly from 1928-1929), while slowly declining for the rest. This time around we saw only two examples of those highly desirable pieces, and a dearth of other standard gauge. But then, the demographic that most wanted those pieces has passed on.  I never grew up in this era, but I think they are the coolest.

Almost all of that is wrong.

When Lionel moved to smaller trains in 1906 they copied European 3-rail track and for some reason set their own gauge as 2 1/8". Cohen was a genius marketer and when told it was different that the 2" gauge used by most other American companies at the time decided to call it "standard." Within 15 years all the American makers of 2" gauge trains either exited the train market or converted to Standard gauge. (Ives made 3-rail 1 gauge trains which ran on 1 7/8" track.)

Standard guage trains are common and quite in demand today. Some trains that were produced in small quantities are quite expensive today, but most standard gauge trains are cheap enough to be within the reach of anyone.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2021, 06:51:06 AM »
Standard gauge trains were available in the Lionel catalog through 1940. Actual trains were last shown in 1939. Only a small list of cars appeared in 1940. and only track after that. 1929 was probably the peak of Classis Period Standard Gauge. American Flyer was done with Wide Gauge /Standard Gauge about 1936. 

romiin

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2021, 09:17:05 AM »
In other words, don't believe everything you read. You guys are the fact checkers. That's why I come here :)

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2021, 04:44:07 AM »
None of us were "flies on the wall" when JLC or Mr Coleman were making their trains. So, we rely on the many books published since the 1970's, even Mr Hertz's book from 1956, and more important the experience we have developed from hunting and collecting trains for half a century. The books are a good start point, but are not always complete or correct on everything.

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2021, 12:46:25 PM »
The best way to learn about trains is to go out and see them. Touch them. Own them.

The books give you the basics and the jargon, but having a collector hand you a car and point out the features is the best way to learn.

Find people in your area you can visit with. You're in Canada so it is more difficult. Try looking for trains for sale on Craigslist and other sites. You can search eBay for trains near you and ask the sellers if they do local pickups. It used to be collectors would pile up trains over the year and sell Christmas sets.  Maybe someone in your area does that.