Author Topic: which electric engine goes with a 219 crane car?  (Read 24147 times)

romiin

Re: which electric engine goes with a 219 crane car?
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2021, 01:51:13 PM »
  Thanks for the input.  Nothing like getting advice from seasoned collectors.  I have been learning a lot just fallowing items for sale. I will never have the knowledge you guys have, started too late. And only really focus on prewar.   I do try to get anything local if I can.  I got my 253 and 607/608 set from a guy about a hour away.  Your right Terry trains for sale in Canada are extremely rare.  I put an item on facebook for sale and in the ad I said I was looking for prewar trains to buy.  In six months I got one call.  So ebay it is. It stings with the money exchange and shipping.  Believe it or not just the few things I have is over 1800.00 canadian already, not complaining but  the wife is starting to give me the stink eye though  .Lol

romiin

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2021, 03:48:58 PM »
 I need to shop here.lol

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2021, 04:30:21 AM »
Over the years I have had buyers at train shows ask for this. I would write a false receipt, reluctantly, knowing that there is a down-side he does not realize. Some day when he passes and his spouse goes to sell the trains she will think that a Standard Gauge Blue Comet is only worth $100. But maybe at that point he doesn't care if she sells his trains too cheap.

romiin

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2021, 09:53:34 PM »
 Maybe the fellow needed to write the price that its real worth on the bottom of the train piece. When the wife discovers it she would be saying that son of a b%^$ch. LOL too funny

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2021, 10:46:32 PM »
I sold a train collection on consignment where the collector marked everything with current values. My dad started selling the stuff before his death, and I sold the rest.

It was a mess. The prices did not reflect his values. Some went for more, most went for less. The woman trusted my dad, and was used to the lower returns, but the trains sold for 70-80 percent of his stickers overall.

The collector also had a wall of figures - Barclay, Manoil, Britians, Grey Iron. Over 3500 pieces. The wife wouldn't do anything with them because I was telling her the return would be pennies on the dollar. She'd pick up a figure and ask me what it would sell for and I'd look it up on eBay and say $3-5. She'd say it has a tag for $25 or $30.

The stickers caused her to dither and look for other ways to sell the collection. 

The wife passed about 6 years later, and the son found me through a local antique appraiser. He didn't even know I'd sold the trains for his mother. I bought the lot.

I sold 3000+ figures on eBay at opening bids of $3. Most sold in the $3-6 range. A few went for more, only a few surprised me. The stickers made it easy to list them on eBay as they cross referenced with the inventory cards so I knew the guy with the flag was a "Flag Bearer."

Speaking of the figures, ALL the ones that sold for more than $25 went to about 12 bidders. Those same bidders also bought a majority of the cheaper figures. There just aren't (or weren't in 2015) very many figure collectors buying on eBay.