Author Topic: MTH and Lionel Classics  (Read 11489 times)

romiin

MTH and Lionel Classics
« on: October 16, 2021, 02:57:55 PM »
 Are these one and the same ?

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
Re: MTH and Lionel Classics
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2021, 09:41:55 AM »
Most Lionel Classics were made for Lionel by MTH. MTH also made many of the same items with the MTH name on them. It can be confusing, but Lionel and MTH had a love/hate relationship that included both partnerships and law suits.

romiin

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2021, 09:54:33 AM »
 Interesting. How would you compare the build between MTH and the original Lionel product.

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2021, 01:21:16 PM »
The reproductions are -- I don't want to encourage people to curse here, so I'll say crap. This is because I've handled the originals. They are not made the same way. The copies of the 1920s Lionel are closer than the early items or the IVES pieces.

That said, the paint and finish are nice. They fit together well. The ones without Protosound run well.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2021, 04:25:00 AM »
On many of the reproduction items the finish screams at you. One of the best examples is the MTH Ives Prosperity special that looks metallic PINK.
The vintage finishes have lead in them, which was banned somewhere in the 1960's. Lead adds a dark-earthy quality that is hard to duplicate with modern finishes. The new finishes are to bright on both the paint and plated trim.
Also Lionel and MTH have painted items in "fantasy colors" that did not exist in the prewar era, such as Girl's Train pink, Christmas colors and Lionel Orange and blue. I say to each his own. If you want a bright/shiny new 390E, then buy the reproduction. I personally prefer one with a few scratches that shows its age.   

romiin

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2021, 09:22:29 AM »
  I did think they looked a little too shiny , which I think it makes them look tinny.  Maybe they are , I don't have one to personally look at it, but is the metal thinner or is the paint thinner. The original Lionel look more solid to me.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2021, 02:48:12 PM »
I imagine the metal is the same gauge as originals, but I do not currently have any to compare. Paint may be thinner on re-issue trains for economy reasons. Modern finishes are definitely thinner than original Lionel pieces painted between about 1925 and 1934, because most Lionel items were dip-painted during those years. Also most vintage finishes would not have their glossy luster, unless polished. Nickel trim items (spray-painted) would likely have more gloss than brass trim items which were dip-painted.
Most seasoned collectors can tell a repro or a restoration from across the room. It is just something you develop from experience.