Author Topic: looking for a head light  (Read 11202 times)

romiin

looking for a head light
« on: January 23, 2022, 05:52:43 PM »
Could anyone give me a lead to buy a headlight like the one in the picture? I actually prefer a used one.  I want to add it to the opposite end of the 252 engine.

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
Re: looking for a head light
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2022, 07:48:54 PM »
that's a STRAP headlight. You can get reproductions from many parts suppliers.

You can tone down a reproduction with a torch and some vinegar.

Here's a listing on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/363591724753

If you buy a used one, do not go for the ones mounted on a bracket that were used in houses and passenger cars. You cannot get them off the bracket without breaking the tabs.

romiin

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2022, 08:49:53 PM »
Thanks Terry. I see mine does not have the stud and double nut on the back, is it missing? . Looks like the wire just goes in the back.   How does the torch and vinegar work?

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2022, 01:39:46 AM »
The strap headlights without threads and nuts are two insulators with a squished eyelet holding them together. One insulator disk on the inside of socket and one on the outside with the tabs from the housing between the outside disk and the socket. The wire is attached to the eyelet.

To age a nickel part you heat it up with the torch and then drop it in vinegar.  Just house vinegar of 5% or whatever low amount Heinz is.  You should take the bulb socket part out before doing this.

romiin

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2022, 09:25:33 AM »
  Do they make the strap light, like the one I have anymore? If so you wouldn't happen to know the part number or what they call that style. I'll try the vinegar trick . thanks

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2022, 11:13:04 AM »
Lionel only did the wired ones like you have for a short time in 1927.  I don't think repros are made, but all you need is the eyelet to convert one with screw and nut.  If you take the insulating disks to a good hardware store they might have  a siutable eyelet.

romiin

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2022, 01:17:23 PM »
OK thanks. I might keep my eye open for a parts engine.