Author Topic: Lionel streamline 1700E painted like a Flying Yankee  (Read 12416 times)

pjdog350

• View Profile
Lionel streamline 1700E painted like a Flying Yankee
« on: May 21, 2021, 12:03:27 PM »
I’ve got a 1700e set I painted silver. I’ve never really liked it.

Think I’ll do it over like a Flying Yankee.
Stay home with your trains and be safe
Life is better with a Dog

pjdog350

• View Profile
Re: Lionel streamline 1700E painted like a Flying Yankee
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2021, 11:38:28 AM »
This morning I sand blasted the all silver 1700 that I painted last winter. I never liked how it turned out. I got the gray primer on all the cars. Got some gloss black paint for the front and end off this set. In the morning I’ll do the black and chrome paint. I’d like to get another 1701 car for this set. I only have three cars.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2021, 05:10:41 AM »
Took picture of the progress on the Lionel Jr painted like a Flying Yankee. I had 6 pictures. Did a group move to the trains folder. Put the chip (Sand Disk) back in the GoPro Hero 8. Went to the trains folder to reduce the size and can't find them. When you do a group move from the Sand Disk to the computer that process deletes the pictures from the sending folder? Now I don't have the pictures. The computer said it moved them but they are no where to be found. I even did a search? Got nothing?

Normally it's the toy train gods that are messing with me but this morning it's the computer Gods!

I even took pictures of the cans of paint that the sales people sold me saying this is Chrome paint. But it's not. It is silver. And crappy silver to booth. I went to a auto parts store and found a can that said Chrome. But it's real poor! Wonder why Krylon does not have the balls to put Chrome on the can rather than all the different ways of describing the paint other than putting Chrome on the can. I've had Krylon paint that is super quality Chrome.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2021, 04:41:50 AM »
I go to files, create a new folder with the project name, move the group of files to that folder, then delete the non-video files. I change the file names to large icons, so it is easy to tell the video clips from the non-essential files that always come along with them. I review the clips from the folder, not from the stick, and rename them with subject and good/bad so they are easy to use when assembling a video. Then I go to that folder when I "add a clip" from the Moviemaker program. I keep still photos in a separate folder from the videos. It is just a matter of having a system and practicing.
I do not clear the stick until I remove it to put back in the camera for the next session.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2021, 05:25:29 AM »
Put the Lionel 1700 that I was looking for the Flying Yankee look. I'm real disappointed in the paint. I also tried to assemble it to soon as the paint is not dry yet. Close but after a while it gets a little sticky. Anyone will know I did this work as I left a thumb print in the roof of the power unit? Guess at a later date I'll give this another try (fourth time). I'll use my airbrush next time. Plus I'll get some good Chrome paint. I'm done with spray cans.

In the video I had nothing but trouble. Cleaned the track but the 1700 still stalled. Clean the collector on the pickup shoe. It ran for a while but it became obvious that the motor needs some attention. Plus the head light keeps going off and on? This is what happens when you hurry a job! I've Been like this my whole life. Hurry up and do it over again. The upside is doing it some many times you get better at the process?

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2021, 12:42:18 PM »
I bet your souffles never rise right.

Some of us were talking recently about drying paint. One guy has a big toaster oven he bought at Goodwill for $2. He makes custom trucks out of Tonkas. He sets the oven at 200 degrees and puts the freshly painted item in it. He leaves it in for an hour with the oven on, then turns the oven off.

I just use my kitchen oven and after putting the freshly painted train in, I turn off the oven and ignore it for at least 24 hours.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2021, 01:46:17 PM »
Normally I do use the oven set on 185 for an hour. But I painted these two days ago I. The garage this time of year is pretty hot. They where out there all day. I thought that would cut it. As soon as I realized they where not ready I should have stopped and used the oven but I thought I could get it done! WRONG! Plus I was not happy with the paint anyway.

I’m my own worst enemy!

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2021, 06:51:35 PM »
Added another car to the Flying Yankee Streamline Jr set. Now it’s a four car set. The paint job went perfect. I could handle the car after it cooled when removed from the oven. Assembly went perfect. Looks great. I’m currently working on a video. HD Movie Maker Pro sure is fun. I see why Jim loves to make movies. 

Should have it in the morning!