Author Topic: Home made turntable  (Read 8988 times)

pjdog350

• View Profile
Home made turntable
« on: July 15, 2021, 05:09:19 AM »
Just saw a guy - milehirail - that made his own turntable. It’s very impressive. I’d like to make that my next project. He used a set of 4 wheel trucks at each end. Then made a table for it with a dc motor and belt that connects to the shaft at the center of the table. If he would detail it would be the best table ever. I don’t believe he’s done with it yet as he is still working on the big layout. H e has a mess of articulated MTH engines and he made the table large enough for them to fit. You guys need to see this. I love his turntable.

Look him up on you tube under - milehirail - The title of the video is - O gauge double headed MTH challenger & big boy  You will like his ability to create this! I want one.

I know it's not prewar or before 1970 but the turntable is nicely done. With detailing it could be super? I'm impressed with it.

Stay home with your trains and be safe
Life is better with a Dog

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
Re: Home made turntable
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2021, 02:18:42 PM »
He does have some honkin-big locos, and plenty of room for very wide radius track.
I like the turntable, but I don't have the room. It takes up too much real-estate with the feeder tracks and roundhouse.
Nice to see on someone else's layout.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2021, 02:35:26 PM »
He said how cheap it was to make. I responded with cheap I’m sure never entered his mind as he has a lot of big dollar locos. He responded with they where almost all bought used but in very good condition. I think he said that he did by one new. I told him all the 1990’s MTH I had and wish I had kept. But the damn batteries in the MTH locos is a nightmare. I’ve lost several locos because of dead batteries.

I had a Big Boy, Challenger, J, two K-4 pacific’s, two Mikados, E8’s, B6, Hudson. Still have the Hudson. It does not need a battery. No sound system. All needed to have the batteries checked before using. That’s why I sold them. They where great when they ran.
Stay home with your trains and be safe
Life is better with a Dog

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2021, 04:02:34 AM »
It is true that modern locos with all the electronics are available at lower prices on the secondary market.

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2021, 12:19:55 PM »
Somebody will make a killing selling a drop in replacement for the MTH boards.

The ho and n modellers can buy any board and then download the sound files from the NMRA website and put it any loco. You just select the boards based on the max. amperage pulled by the motor.