Author Topic: red barrels inside 0209...2812X Burnt Orange Gondola/like new  (Read 8376 times)

murph-7

• ......M7
    • View Profile
    • Murph-7 Trains
Like new 2812X burnt orange gondola--last run 1942?..I say this because of what I found inside each of the pull-apart 0209 barrels. Each one had a little red painted barrel. It matches the red paint on 362-78 and 0209 red painted barrels...hmmm...anyone ever see or have?? they do not look amateur/little boy painted. They do resemble a little bit like the prewar 3652 operating gondola barrels too..

Murph-7

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
Re: red barrels inside 0209...2812X Burnt Orange Gondola/like new
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2022, 01:41:03 PM »
I have similar barrels on my layout - shape is different, but they are red and about the same size.

I don't know what Larry's barrels are, but the red ones I have are from an HO trestle bridge kit. Maybe Campbell or Alexander. The red barrels were placed along the top of the bridge in set outs and filled with water (or sand depending on area and RR) so if the embers from the loco landed on the bridge, the train crew could put them out.

I would bet that many HO details companies also sold bags with barrels. The ones designed for use as fire barrels would have come painted red.