Author Topic: Terry's Standard Gauge Layout  (Read 64617 times)

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
Re: Terry's Standard Gauge Layout
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2021, 01:18:05 PM »
I'm running wire harnesses now. Then to hook up something I only have to poke wires through the layout and tap into the feeders. 

I can kneel 4 feet in under the layout and reach another 2 feet. I am using scotchlock type connectors that just need to be squeezed to make connection. (The generic scotchlock connectors are harder plastic and work better. The 3M ones sometimes twist when you squeeze them shut.)

I made the control panel yesterday and it is in the garage waiting for a second coat of paint.

While the panel dries I have to put these Christmas light strings on so they light the underside.

The white LED strings run on 9 volts so I can just use an ho transformer with the voltage fixed. The blue lights should be good for night time appearance. They are 110V so need special treatment.

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2021, 01:30:17 PM »
Here's what I got done this week.

All the wiring is done except for a few connections on the back of the panel board and sizing the wires that connect to the transformer.

I need to rewire the 1121-C prewar 027 switch controllers so they will operate the standard gauge switches. Also I need to make up the relays with terminal strips on my work desk so I can connect them quickly.

The blue Christmas lights make for a night time scene. 

The back of the control panel:

Wirng diagram:

Front of control panel:

With transformers:

And a picture of my helper:

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2021, 03:56:46 PM »
I love Z transformers. They look so strong. In the early 1990’s I had a friend that had a very big O gauge layout in his attic. He had ZW’s but still needed more power. I got a pile on old Lionel parts. In that where many Z & ZW’s in many parts. I pu a Z transformer In a ZW case for him. Work out very well for him.

Looks like you making lots of progress. I like your helper. I also have a helper. Benjamin. He is a super smart dog. A Sheltie.
Stay home with your trains and be safe
Life is better with a Dog

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2021, 12:58:26 AM »
As a buyer of trains to resell I hate V and Z transformers. They are more work to repair, and worth so much less than a KW or ZW. To run trains or just for lighting accessories, they cannot be beat.

I got all the decking down except two small areas. For the small one on the lower level I had a scrap that fit, but it wasn't painted so it's in the garage drying. I want to avoid doing visible seams as much as posible on the decking so I'll get a 4 by 4 sheet for the bigger hole. I have sonme put aside for the smaller layouts, but will have to go get it on Monday.

Next is the soundboard and the transitions between the lower level and the mid level. That's the 4 inches you see in these pictures. Mostly that will be easy, but I have a curve that slopes in one corner. Like a section cut out of a funnel.

Here's some photos:

The color is from the lights and the chipboard.

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2021, 11:22:56 PM »
I got the soundboard on today and cut the wood for the transitions.

Here's a straight transition:

I wasted an hour trying to make those angled sections from 2x6" scraps. The table saw would stall and blow the breaker every 4-6 inches. I started getting frustrated, and it's never good to be frustrated around a table saw so I used 1X6 wood instead.

I have one rounded corner. I cut a bunch of strips from the 2X6" wood that I did manage to rip.  I should be able to glue them in pace so they make a circle and then either coat with sandable plaster or use a section of thin metal flashing over. If I can't figure it out I'll mae the corner exposed rock.

Here's a strip of carpet on the straight transition by the walk under bridge to give you an idea:

Here's a shot of the Schoenhut town with the blue lights and no other room lights:

Same shot without the blue lights under the standard layout:

The blue adds a lot of clarity to the night scene.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2021, 05:00:14 AM »
The first picture you posted in the above post really show’s off how large the room & layout are. I’m so jealous that you have all that room. I like the blue lighting also. Makes the O gauge layout show up much better. Still kills me that the O gauge is covered up.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2021, 05:07:33 AM »
Night shots with lighted accessories makes it look like a completely different layout.
Also running lighted passenger cars with the car lights reflecting can produce a nice effect.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2021, 05:21:14 AM »
Regarding V and Z transformers, I have found them usually quite reliable and since they have a higher output voltage range, they are a necessity for running older Standard gauge and AF wide-gauge steamers, also prewar Hudsons perform better with a Z. I was unable to run a fully-lighted Railchief set with my ZW, but no problem with the Z. The down-side is the lack of reverse and whistle features. This makes them less desirable and sometimes hard to sell. The ZW will always be the most popular postwar transformer because of its features and its "sexy" throttles.
I am having a problem with a V. It was rebuilt long ago, I think by Ken Koehler when we were in the Chicago area. It must have a faulty/wear circuit-breaker, because after a few minutes running a single train or even just for lighting, the red CB light starts flashing and the output pulses, eventually trips-off. I have worked on ZW's but not the V or Z types, so it will be a new experience figuring this out. I am hoping I can just replace the CB. Too bad that Ken K, Mr ZW, is not still around.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2021, 02:16:16 PM »
Own is the standard gauge coming along?

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2021, 07:40:02 PM »
I've been busy around the hosue trying to get outdoor chores done before the 100+ weather hits.

I did get down today to figure out the fence. Here's some photos:

I had the angles in for the difference in levels before. I need to sand all that as the mastic for the carpet won't stick to painted wood.

Here's the fence with one rod:

With a second rod held in place:

I might do three rods because the small dowels are cheap and it's quick to drill the holes.

The hard work is drilling the holes square in the layout. I made a jig for that:

Here's the jig for drilling holes in dowels. For the second hole I'll just move the brown stop and put a pin in to put the upper hole in so the holes are aligned.

I'm still not decided on the treatment for the river. Vertical sides with a stone pattern would be easiest. I have a few more weeks of things to do before I lay the carpet so I can decide later.

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2021, 04:14:08 PM »
I decided to put one vertical cliff and one sloped side on the river and add a small stream on the industrial side so I can use the bridges. I cut away the Celotex so the stream is recessed.

Joann's Fabrics sells felt by the yard so I bought some light blue felt. I also bought a bunch of cheap 4 ounce bottles of acrylic paint so I can stipple the felt to get a less uniform look. They sell all kinds of craft items and were more helpful than Micheal's. Much closer too!

When I put the green carpet down, I'll cut through the carpet and the felt to make a nice edge. Then I'll blot some thick colors around the seams to hide them.

Here's pictures:

On the west side by the turntable the transition will be a stone wall rather than a slope so I have room for the work train on a siding. Rather than do the pole fence, I'm going to do a board fence. Here's the holes for the posts.

That was the last of the drilling and sanding. I'll start cleaning the lower O gauge layout, and putting the side trim on the standard layout. The trim has to go on so I can see how the edges of the carpet will look with the glass.

One other thing I looked at was a Department 56 Operating Skating rink. I got it years ago with some trains and never took it out of the box. I finally looked at it and decided it was not the look I want for the layout.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2021, 05:15:58 PM »
I like your spot lights & the stand.

Layout is coming along very well. Wish the O gauge was in the picture! That’s just me. I really liked the O gauge but  I’ll clam up!

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2021, 06:13:44 PM »
The lights are 50 cent LED spotlight bulbs - plastic cases, don't get hot or break - in an old photo light holder. I have a second holder, but only the one tripod. I'm thinking about adding a strip of track lights to the garage ceiling with those bulbs so I can see better.

The o gauge should be up and running again this week. Now that all the big cutting is done, I can vacuum up the mess and put the trains back on.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2021, 05:02:26 AM »
You are making some incredible progress, can't wait to see more as it develops.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2021, 05:18:45 AM »
I’m sure when you get the project done they both will be super nice. You do have allot of talent. Looking forward you movies when your able.

I don’t know anything about standard gauge. I do remember when I was a little kid in New Jersey I was in the hospital for a long time. A guy came in and put a standard gauge around the Christmas tree. My bed was in line of site of the tree & train. I was in love with that big train. It was green and big.