Author Topic: Lionel 1700 getting a 229E motor  (Read 8713 times)

pjdog350

• View Profile
Lionel 1700 getting a 229E motor
« on: December 30, 2020, 02:28:15 PM »
I bought a Lionel 229 motor to put in a 1700 that I got with out a motor. I found the video on you tube under 'Lionel 1700 powered by Marx'.

I tried to make a bracket for the 229 motor this morning but it's allot harder than I thought it would be. Plus I can't find my wire bender which I think is causing the most trouble. I found half the bender but the base is lost in the mancave tools somewhere. Server me right for not putting the tools back where you got then. I'll bet my father is laughing at me right now. He told me and told me. Put the damn tools back then you are done then you will have them when you need them!!!!
I got one side of the bracket done and it's great but I can't match it to the other side?

I took a break and will give it a go tomorrow!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cLMg1XOg54

Stay home with your trains and be safe
Life is better with a Dog

pjdog350

• View Profile
Re: Lionel 1700 getting a 229E motor
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2021, 08:09:03 AM »
I think I made good progress on the 229E modify for the 1700 power unit. I'm going to post some pictures as soon as I can get it where I can put it in the 1700 and it stays there.

I did an outline of a 1700 motor on heavy paper with the little post sticking up. Then I'm making modifying  the 229 motor to fit inside that outline. It's sort of a work in progress. As I go I find problems that need fixing and sometimes I can move forward to the next issue. The guy that did the Marx was dealing with a plastic case with his Marx motor. I'm all metal so I need to insulate the mount I'm making. I think I've got a good start hear. Maybe tomorrow morning I'll have it running.

A 229 motor is really a great runner. So smooth!!!!!!!

Again - I'll say it keeps me in the mancave and out of harms way. CV-19 not in the train room I Hope.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2021, 04:37:07 AM »
You have some good engineering skills to make the 229 diecast motor fit into the 1700E power car!
Good to know some collectors still have such skills.
I had a collector buy a caboose from me, then pay another guy to run a new wire for the light.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2021, 08:53:47 AM »
Well I got the bracket complete. It was allot of trouble but worth it. 229E motors are very good motors and run super smooth. I did  test run with the silver 1700 as I still have some work to do on it. I hate rivets. I did a real bad job on the silver 1700 streamliner doing the rivets. I found a super good screw and bolt to hold on the trucks which I will do to the 1700. Your brain is still at work when you are asleep. While sleeping a few nights ago it occurred that the screws that I like for the truck job would be perfect for the bracket holding the 229e motor to the 1700 power body. Two days ago I started over with the bracket. Using cooper rather than brass. Got a great bracket. Then assembled everything. It ran well. And it stays in the 1700 power body when you shake it So I'm good to go.

But when it was on the track it looked like a 1960 drag car. Front high back low. But worked well. This morning I set about lowering the front. All worked out well. She runs super good. The video the light blinks cause the bulb was lose.

https://youtu.be/jg1MG_oPR78

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2021, 08:55:24 AM »
I've got another video of the 1960's drag car look while running but didn't have the time. Plus I have some photos of the bracket. I'll get to them later today.

Two pictures of copper bracket with round head bolt in top to fit in 1700 power body receiver. Works real good so far. I've tried to shake it lose but can not.

Video of silver 1700 with 229e motor. I'm shaking it to be sure it stays in the power body. It did!

https://youtu.be/d8_FJZ6LdZE

Now if USPS could just deliver my 1700 parts from New York I'd be in business completing my 5th restoration. A chrome & red Lionel streamline Jr.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2021, 04:36:34 AM »
Better picture of the 229E modification.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2021, 11:51:10 AM »
Finally got all my 1700 parts in the USPS mail today. I will complete the Lionel 1700 restore using the 229E motor. I got the body on the frame and put the Lionel logo on the front. I have new journals, Lionel line name plates, and logos. I got plenty so I will have what I will need for the next 1700 I do.

I did buy two 1701’s in real bad shape. I have another motor and another 1700 three car set coming. Should be here Monday. Not sure If I will complete to Orange & chrome or do a Southern set? Maybe a M10000. Brown car tops and brown frames, yellow on the body sides?

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2021, 05:00:48 AM »
All six Lionel 1700 streamliners are complete and running great. Today I'm all caught up. I have nothing to do on the 1700's.

However Monday I should be getting a 258E and another 1700. Starfire said a few weeks ago that Lionel had a 258 pulling three cars. A 1703 and a 1702 & 1701. I bought on Ebay a couple 1701's that where to represent that set. I do have a extra 1702 so I believe I can to the set Starfire was talking about?

Ebay is great for staying home and being safe. Last March I didn't have a 1700 set. Now I have 6 running and looking forward to working up another plus the 258E.

Working on prewar O gauge trains and staying home is not so bad when you have toy trains to work on. 

CNJRR

• "The Biggest Little Railroad"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2021, 03:40:07 PM »
What a nice collection you have. ( thumbs up)  ;D 8)
I have slowed down a lot buying trains, but still look.  :)
My Bro in law, my main dump man, passed away years ago so no more saves from the dump trains from him. :(

I only have one shelf up in my basement.
It has an assortment of different scales items on it.