Author Topic: What is this American Flyer O Gauge  (Read 9209 times)

pjdog350

• View Profile
What is this American Flyer O Gauge
« on: January 07, 2021, 10:18:09 AM »
A family member found this American Flyer Boxcab while cleaning out a house in Dunedin Florida.  It was in the attic along with many Lionel trains. I cleaned it up, had to put new wheels on it which are Lionel. The large gears also had to be replaced. They are also Lionel. It runs real well. but will lock up sometimes. I probably should have also replaced the bushings as well.

I took three pictures of the bottom but they where to fuzzy to post. I'll try again later.
Stay home with your trains and be safe
Life is better with a Dog

CNJRR

• "The Biggest Little Railroad"
    • View Profile
Re: What is this American Flyer O Gauge
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2021, 02:14:46 PM »
Looks in good shape?
Does it have a number anywhere?

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2021, 03:34:19 PM »
No, there is no number. I did repaint the body. Cleaned up the motor. The motor looks chrome but I’m sure it’s nickel or something like that. I started to remove the body for a picture of the motor. It’s actually pretty. And very smooth running.  But I had bent the tabs all the way down on the body. I was afraid I’d break them. It says O Gauge ‘American Flyer”. I guess American flyer made O gauge before WWII. I thought AF just made S gauge. When I was a kid in the 1940’s living in New Jersey I had a friend a few houses north of me. He had AF trains. Allot of them All ‘S’ gauge.

CNJRR

• "The Biggest Little Railroad"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2021, 03:49:45 PM »
I asked a Flyer man, he said this,
American Flyer made Wide Gauge since Lionel had a Trademark on the use of Standard Gauge, otherwise it is the same.
I am no expert on this stuff from the early 1930's but that looks like an American Flyer O gauge engine similar to #3107, made 1930 to 1932.
There are some painting detail differences but otherwise it is the same.
Were it Wide Gauge it would be 12" long, but the wide gauge equivalent engines had different details in the stampings.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2021, 03:59:46 PM »
Thanks for the information. Another guy told me he thought it was a 3107 also. Wish I had replaced the bushings. Maybe I’ll do that soon.