Discussion Boards > General Discussion

Next Lionel tintype project

(1/5) > >>

pjdog350:
I think these are the cars Starfire was talking about that are pulled by a Lionel prewar 258E?

Got these in the mail today. Still struggling with the Lionel 259E but I'm getting there. That's what I'll use to put these red cars.

Terry:
Those are 1670 series cars. They wouldn't have come with a 258E as they weren't made at athe same time. Those would have come with a 259E or more likely a 1689E or a  1688E. If a 259E or 1689E in black or gray, the  1688E would be in gray. The loco would certainly have an E on the number plate.

This information is based on the cars being made in 1935-37. Those cars come with two types of printing on the Lionel Lines plates.

pjdog350:
Thanks for that information Terry. I thought they where 1701’s when I bought them. But when I got them out of the box they came in they where allot smaller. Not as tall as the 1701’s. There is a coupler on the back of one of the cars for a locomotive I think. I don’t know anything  about these.

I do have a Gray 259E. I want to get the motor working before a order wheels and gears. Now wheels has a gear problem and one gear has a problem. Probably because they where pushing on one another.

I think I can repair the E-Unit. I found a used drum that looks pretty good. The fingers that came with it look good. This thing took allot of cleaning but I’m getting there. Real close. If the motor will run I’ll do the e-unit and order parts.

How many cars should be with it as a set for the 259E? Maybe that information would be in my Greeburg book?

Terry:
I don't think I've ever seen anything but a 3-car set. One head car with coupler, one middle pullman, and one observation.

pjdog350:
Thanks again for the information. I looked them up in the Greenberg book last night and they said the same thing. A three car set. I’ll be looking for the observation car. Probably be hard to find. Like a needle in a hay stack?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version