Author Topic: Making videos  (Read 11486 times)

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
Making videos
« on: May 14, 2021, 05:21:32 PM »
Hey I was thinking about buying a video camera so I can shoot better videos. I've been using the phone which is really poor, and th later ones are from my 49 dollar Canon powershot camera I use for eBay.

These go pro cameras are $300+ That's more than I paid for my 763E!

What do you all use?

Also I tried downloading a program to join together the time lapse videos I made of the layout construction, but windows 10 won't allow me to install them, and I can't get any of the free programs from the windows store to work.

I need something that will join toegther AVI. I have a working windows 7 laptop and a great windows 8 laptop, but the whole idea of having to use a different computer because this expensive desktop doesn't work annoys me.

Software suggestions please.

pjdog350

• View Profile
Re: Making videos
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2021, 05:33:15 PM »
I think this Would be a question Jim would be best to answer. I think the GoPro is the best for our train world. I have a hero 3 but it’s way out dated. I’m going to get a GoPro 8 soon. I’ve been slow to get a windows 10 editor. The one that came with windows make ‘mov’ movies. It’s a great editor but YouTube will not allow ‘mov’ anymore. So I’m in the same boat you are.

Looking forward to Jim’s answer!
Stay home with your trains and be safe
Life is better with a Dog

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2021, 06:49:07 PM »
I only have experience with my first GoPro a Hero 3, which worked fine, except I could not get rid of the fisheye effect on close shots, and I like close shots. For long shots it is fine, and the older Gopros can be had quite inexpensive, reconditioned or on Ebay. I bought the Gopro 8 a year ago, and have done 33 videos since. Its size allows it to ride the train, it has great sharpness and depth of field, works in bright light and night scenes. Also great sound. If anything, sometimes it is too good, because it picks up details of tools and things left on the layout, sometimes it is hard to keep myself out of the picture. The model 9 is out, so I am sure that 8's are now discounted. Also many different mounts are available. Besides my different camera cars, I can mount it to one of 2 tripods, I also use a microphone stand, from my garage band days, with and without a 12" bracket that allows shooting down on the tracks from overhead.

I use HD Moviemaker Pro for composing and editing. It is inexpensive, from the Microsoft store. It has great features for editing, trimming, special effects, slo-mo, adding text etc. My audio is both live from the GoPro and added separately. I can dial-down the noisy E-units. Before I found the Youtube audio library I experimented with composing virtual music on the Garage Band app on my I pad, also brushed-up on my guitar and composed some generic cord-progression type music. I have a Vox amp with many fuzz, distortion, sustain etc type of effects that smooth out mistakes that my tired old fingers make.

My big question is when did you buy a 763E for under $300......1970?

Anyway, bottom line is that I think the combo of the GoPro 8 and HD MovieMaker Pro produces very satisfactory results. I tried some other programs before HDMM, but they were harder to work with.
Anyone else have some ideas for Terry?

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2021, 06:56:52 PM »
I also shoot still photos, videos as background for text and some audio with my Samsung phone. Many of my intro and text backgrounds are nature shots, also made some text pages on an old program from when we designed Marx Trains, called Arts and Letters. In the program I arrange video clips I have shot, trim ass desired, mix with stills and blend with some of the many transitions in the program.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2021, 05:33:34 AM »
Terry, I emailed you a message about another subject. Have had issues with this before, so let me know if not received. Jim

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2021, 05:32:21 AM »
I got a new GoPro hero 8 black the other day. It's very different for the hero 3 I have. I'm going through a learning curve with it. Made my first video with it this morning and had nothing but trouble. It kept turning itself off after one minute! It takes great movies.

Stay home with your trains and be safe
Life is better with a Dog