Discussion Boards > General Discussion

Double heading postwar Lionel

(1/26) > >>

pjdog350:
Sense I've been running my postwar Lionel steamers and giving the modern engine a rest.  I thought I'd like to double head a couple postwar Lionel. I thought maybe a 224 & a 675. I think they have the same motor. I have a couple of those. I made a coupler for a couple of MTH Mikado's back in 2012. They looked great running around the layout. However I sold them back in 2013. Some times I get brain farts that make me do stupid things. Sure wish I had all the MTH I sold back then

Anyway - I did a search to see if there was any information that maybe someone had put out on the net showing how they did it. The MTH was easy but the old Lionel don't really have the steam chest for it. The first thing that came up on the internet search was a guy named dsmith. He had a super coupler made up that attached to the pilot wheels. I have everything except a extra set of pilot wheels. I'll call my friend in New York today and order a set of 224 pilot wheels. This should be a fun project. 

On the 10th post on the following link you will see pictures of the coupler build.

He posted an article in Classic toy train back in 2010. http://cs.trains.com/ctt/f/95/t/172006.aspx

starfire700:
I have a prewar 226E with a front coupler installed that I double-head with a 225E. I have pulled over 20 2655 boxcars plus caboose and at least 15 2816 hoppers. This is a feat for prewar locos, as they have slippery stainless-steel driver-tires and no Magnetraction.
I am currently working on a video that will feature all unit trains and double-headers, steam/diesel, prewar and postwar.

You can see this at my channel link

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCUfhIqTj6nbDLmY3rXzvn7g

pjdog350:
I’m looking forward to seeing that video. You make the best movies ever. I subscribe to your channel and monitor it very day.

The latest movie with all the scale Hudsons was superb. I didn’t know there where people that ran these super valuable old Lionel trains. I’m jealous!!

starfire700:
Thanks for your comments. When I got my first Hudson, I probably never would have thought about running it, and of course did not have the required T-Rail track at that time. It has been a long-term goal to build a T-rail layout and eventually use it for what it was meant for. Once cleaned and lubricated, they run quite well, but require a high-powered Lionel Z transformer, especially with the Railchief passenger set. I tried with a ZW and the train runs then stalls. Surprisingly the tiny scale couplers held together, so no accidents.
The Double-header and unit trains video is coming along, hope to have it published this week. It will have a mix of Prewar and Postwar.

pjdog350:
Howdy starfire700. I sent you an email. Your videos are great. Best I’ve ever seen on you tube. I watch you stuff everyday. I saw a bunch of LIONEL 1700’s in one of your ‘Hole in the wall VOL III’ videos.

Is it a private editor you use or can to share what you use for your movies. Is it just you or do you have a team of folks that help with the production process? It must take allot of time to do one of your productions?

I have a new Lionel 224E pilot trucks coming. Should be here today. I can start the fabrication of the coupler. Then do a double headed postwar. I think I’m going to use a 675 & 224e. May get an other 224? I’ve been thinking of getting another 675 so I could have smoke with the double headed set. It sure is fun messing with these old trains.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version