Author Topic: Double heading postwar Lionel  (Read 67792 times)

pjdog350

• View Profile
Re: Double heading postwar Lionel
« Reply #75 on: February 19, 2021, 03:18:34 PM »
Howdy Jim:

I have 15 6456 two bay hoppers. I also pull a postwar caboose 6457. One of the hoppers developed a coupler problem so he’s on the bench waiting for a repair. I didn’t get a chance to put the pilot truck on the trailing 675 but I’ll get it in the morning. I’m also going to make the front coupler look a little better. However I’m glad to have it working thanks to you and Terry. I also have 15 two dome Sunoco tank cars. The tank cars are in much better shape than the hoppers.

I’d like to get 15 flat cars with Sherman tanks on them. That would fit in the time period that I’m doing.

Now I can get the two 16?? Passenger cars done and get the 259E back together. I think my parts guy sent me the wrong drive wheels for the 259E as there’s no post to put the side rods that push on the steam cylinders? I have another new set but they are stuck in Tampa Florida. Sooner or later I’ll get some wheels? Been a real struggle!!

I’ve been watching for your double header video on your you tube channel. I know. It will be a good one I’m sure.

Once I get catch up I think I’ll get another 224E for another double header. One going east and one going west.
Stay home with your trains and be safe
Life is better with a Dog

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 20, 2021, 04:38:42 AM »
The pilot truck is back on the trailing 675. Test run with it installed was great. Both 675’s are smoking very well with they new liquid smoke unit’s.

Life is good today!

Started working on the prewar Lionel 16?? (Something) red passenger cars.

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #77 on: February 20, 2021, 04:30:06 PM »
You all seemed to be having so much fun I decided to make up a steamer with a front coupler.

I used a 225E that had the cab window broken, but I think the pilot/cowcatcher is the same for a 226E. It turns out a high coupler taken off a beat up 2800 series freight car truck is the right height to mate with a low coupler on a 2224W 2235W or in the video below a 2226WX tender.

The coupler shank is shortened and then drilled with the same size hole as a siderod. The hex head screw is a shouldered driverod screw.

I need to blacken the file marks on the coupler shaft and put a hood on it, but I wanted to see if it would work first.

It does:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBJ2caCnEcw

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 20, 2021, 06:45:25 PM »
 Good work Terry, welcome to the double header team.

Jim has a super video. On his YouTube channel!

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #79 on: February 21, 2021, 03:44:29 AM »
I got the postwar double header video up on youtube last night.
I modified my camera car so I could have a coupler on both ends.
The camera car is between the 2025 and the 675, and I switch between forward and back to get the smoke from both locos.
I noticed an increase in the smoke volume after several trips around the track.
The only malfunction I had was shorting tender wiring, which I removed to correct the problem.
Most of the video only shows one of the locos, but it was too much fun filming the smoke and varying the puff-volume.
Welcome Terry to the double-header club. I will watch your video now.
Here is a link to my video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmgAOIgfriA

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #80 on: February 21, 2021, 03:48:45 AM »
Good job Terry. I noticed you said a high coupler, which is the same as is mounted to the front of my 226E. I run the pair with the 225E in front of the 226E.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 21, 2021, 05:51:34 AM »
His has been allot of fun. Both Terry and Jim have been a great help for me.

Jim’s idea to also have a pair of diesels was great. I think that’s one of Jims best videos.
Thought Terry’s was great.

My Diesels are MTH. Bad thing about them is you have to be sure your battery is charged or you kill the electronics which leaves you with only a head light. So Mine is on charge. I want to be in the diesel & Steam double heading team. 

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #82 on: February 21, 2021, 02:04:50 PM »
Jim - The high coupler came from a ratty 3814 Merchandise car. It mates with the low coupler 2226W tender without needing to be bent.

Jim's layout is neat because of the clutter. Specifically the closeup views.

"Hot Tip" when you want lots of smoke a short shot of WD-40 into the stack works well. I give all the postwar locos a shot of WD-40 and then run them for a minute. Then I run them for a few minutes upside down over a garbage can to clean out the old remains of smoke pills. It seems to help clear the hole to the air ram cup.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #83 on: February 22, 2021, 04:46:36 AM »
Good tip on cleaning smoke units. Are you sure the WD 40 does not harm the nichrome wire?

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 22, 2021, 09:52:17 AM »
You try it first Jim. Let us know. If I hear a loud boom from the north I’ll know.

Maybe a Little Nitrous would give a little more power?

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #85 on: February 22, 2021, 10:46:24 AM »
It might take-off like the train in the end of Back to the Future II

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #86 on: February 22, 2021, 08:23:12 PM »
Here's a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVFt3IBASw8

I bought some trains today and got a plastic 027 loco with liquid smoke unit so I ran that one first with a shot of WD-40. Then I ran a 682 Turbine with pills and WD-40.

I always buy those little cans of WD-40 because the big cans have hoses on them that spray all over and make a mess if you don't get it lined up just right.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 23, 2021, 03:49:01 AM »
Thats  very interesting Terry. I’d like to see what your engines are sitting on that you can run them in place. I’d like one of those things

I believe you say the WD40 cleans out the smoke unit?

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #88 on: February 23, 2021, 12:43:45 PM »
The smoke units have a hole in the underside where air comes in  If the hole is blocked or the ram cup underneath isn't moving freely the smoke unit won't smoke well.

You can take it all apart and clean it - that's where the dish of smoke pill crumbs in the video came from.

For locos that smoke poorly a quick fix is to flush them out.  You put leads on them and spray WD-40 into the stack and set them upside down over a garbage can or a tray.

The heat and the wd-40 will liquify the smoke pills, and it will drip out of the stack.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #89 on: February 23, 2021, 03:44:32 PM »
The 236 that Terry used has the plastic smoke unit that takes 909 fluid (oil). I noticed that it started smoking from the underside just before it was lifted from the track. I would be concerned that WD40 would burn hotter than the plastic units could tolerate.
Also, what does WD40 smoke smell like? WD40? After cleaning, does the WD40 smell eventually go away and revert to just the SP pellet smell again?