Author Topic: Did you run your trains today?  (Read 40984 times)

pjdog350

• View Profile
Re: Did you run your trains today?
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2021, 05:17:22 AM »
I ran the 675’s with the new short coupler double headed on the outside loop. Worked great. The 2026’s double headed pulling two dome tank cars inside loop. Twelve tank cars. The tank cars keep derailing in one spot? I oiled the tank cars wheels again but still got the same problem. Removed one tank car. These tanks cars just don’t want to roll? I have 19 two bay hoppers that roll great but the two dome tank cars will not?

Guess I need ball bearing trucks for the tank cars? Wonder if anyone makes replacement trucks that roll well. Like K-Line trucks?
Stay home with your trains and be safe
Life is better with a Dog

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2021, 11:18:22 AM »
I sell MPC freight cars for $3 each/ six or more $2 each.  They have plastic needle bearing trucks that roll well with metal wheels. The MPC plastic trucks require a rivet for mounting.  (I think it's actually called an eyelet?)  Figure out how to mount them and you can easily get free rolling trucks.

6465 tank cars have sheetmetal steps. Check to make sure the steps aren't causing the problem.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2021, 11:36:08 AM »
Can you point a few pictures of the Mac cars & trucks

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2021, 03:22:27 PM »
Terry:

Do you have MPC flat cars? I’d be interested in them!

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2021, 04:46:32 AM »
Rather than mess with the GoPro this morning I thought I’d use the IPad. I’m new to the IPad but it seems simple enough. I do wish it made the picture a little smaller however I got a great 9 minute movie of the 675’s doubled going one way and the triple 2026’s going the other. I’ve got to see how to get the IPad movie to YouTube.

Lots of times when I’m doing my at home nursing duties for my wife I’ll get the IPad out and watch YouTube movies about toy trains. I realized this morning I can make a movie on the IPad and watch it while on nursing duties. Almost like being out in the man cave playing with my O Gauge trains. If I could just get the I pad to make the smoke sent I’d be in heaven!

Trains are sure fun. I love them as much as when I was 7 years old playing with my first Lionel 224 set.
My dad really had my mom faked out as she thought that dad was buying the trains for me!

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2021, 01:38:49 PM »
I had some guys from the parking lot swap meet over today and ran the trains.

Some ran well, some didn't. I did manage to run a train on every loop.

Now I need to figure out what cause each problem. Most trains just need to be taken apart and cleaned and then put back together with attention to the tolerances.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2021, 04:38:04 AM »
I swapped out my postwar for prewar this morning.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2021, 05:12:18 AM »
Nice to see your prewar video, looks like you are having fun with the trains and with the gopro.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2021, 07:44:02 AM »
Thanks Jim. I really like your last video. So many Marx streamliner. I was shocked to read that Marx almost always out sold Lionel. 1955 Marx 50 million. Lionel 35 million? I’ve been looking at them on ebay. Found some nice modern Marx. Just at my age to start another line of trains probably not a good idea.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2021, 01:06:00 PM »
I unfortunately do not have an example of everything that we made. When we built the new house and moved I sold a lot including prototypes. I kept the 3/16" scale boxcars, a few locos, a Disney set and an Army set. Now trying to buy it back is both good and bad. Bad because it is difficult to afford, good because I am proud that our creations appreciated so well. I was able to buy-back a CTA elevated set and a red Marlines work train, 2 of my favorites. The motors on out modern Marx Trains will run through Lionel switches. Most marx, including all prewar will not, because the gear teeth are on the edge of the wheel-flange, not recessed. 

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2021, 02:04:28 PM »
I saw a red marlines set on ebay last night. Big bucks to get it. They wanted $ 999.00!!!!!!

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2021, 05:26:05 AM »
The red Marlines work train is a desirable set. I was lucky to buy one back for about $300. It is one of my favorites. I will post the link to my video that shows this train. I have mixed emotions about the high price, proud it could command that much, but also sorry it is not more affordable.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2021, 05:56:38 AM »
Here are some photos of my Marlines work train. It was missing the Marlines caboose, so I substituted a red CP 6" caboose.
Also link to video that shows this train running.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2021, 06:12:04 AM »
The vintage Marx work train, shown first in the video, is from about 1940. It was a set that I looked for at least 25 years. I finally found this nice set boxed about 5 years ago.
You will also note many dogs in this video, not to mention my pack of hobos.
Life is MUCH better with dogs!

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2021, 10:18:36 AM »
Hats a real nice train. But $ 999.00 is out of my comfort zone for a toy train. Unless it’s a big boy.