Author Topic: Bild-A-Motor with numbered wheel  (Read 9181 times)

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
Bild-A-Motor with numbered wheel
« on: April 11, 2021, 01:13:37 PM »
Has anyone out there seen a Bild-A-Motor or Standard Super motor with numbers incised into the hub of a wheel like this?
If so, any idea what it means, possibly the Bild-a-motor part number as other parts of the Bild-a-motor are numbered?
I have never seen this before, but maybe it is common.
I have also seen numbers on cast iron wheels, such as on a 42 early electric, but do not currently have an example to show.

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
Re: Bild-A-Motor with numbered wheel
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2021, 12:42:15 AM »
I thought I answered this questiuon when you posted it.

All the red spoked bild-a-loco wheels should have numbers on them. It's part of the system for putting everything together shown in the instructions.

Is that from a 9U?

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2021, 03:42:45 PM »
It is a motor that I got separate.
Should all the wheels have a number on them? I knew that all the other parts were numbered.
Thanks for the replay.

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2021, 09:57:53 PM »
I only have one loco with original wheels. It has the number "12" on both geared wheels, and no number on the plain wheels.

The motor you have looks like a perfect fit for my dark green 9.  I bought the 9 set from the original owner's son a few years ago and haven't got around to rewheeling it. I was hoping to find some original wheels.

Here's a shot of the motor and the way the reverse switch indexes with the switch on the body:

Because this is a 9 not a 9U the motor mounts with 4 screws inside the body. A 9U has clips to remove the motor.  You can see the number 7 on the armature.

Here's the switch on the outside:

The 381U has the same switch, so does the orange 9U. That reverse switch is also used on the hand reverse 384 and 390 steamers, but the wheels would have threaded holes for valve gear.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2021, 06:05:42 AM »
I guess it has been a while since I have seen an early Bild-a-motor with original wheels