Author Topic: Lionel D-264 5x9 Super O (for my Marx)  (Read 35464 times)

cndctr111

• View Profile
Lionel D-264 5x9 Super O (for my Marx)
« on: February 01, 2021, 03:20:24 PM »
Original design had to be inverted to accommodate the room layout. Everything on the table is Marx except track and switches (Lionel). Started in 2015.

CNJRR

• "The Biggest Little Railroad"
    • View Profile
Re: Lionel D-264 5x9 Super O (for my Marx)
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2021, 12:29:19 PM »
Nice, thanks for posting.
Too bad the picture isn't a bit larger to see it closer up.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2021, 01:50:24 PM »
That is a nice layout. Not real big but works very well.
good job!
Stay home with your trains and be safe
Life is better with a Dog

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2021, 04:23:41 AM »
I had an 8x8 D-106 Lionel layout, but had to sell it when we moved. It was purchased with a Marx collection, had astro-turf covering everything but the mountains. The guy only used it for a storage table. I was able to add the track and all the accessories and brought it back to life. Just mentioned this because of the Marx and Lionel display layout connection. I will see if I have some photos.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2021, 04:41:29 AM »
I found pictures of my early 1950's D-106 layout after I brought it back to life. It is in 2 pieces in the photos, as 8x8 takes a lot of room and I could not get around it if together. Dealer layouts can be a lot of fun, because of all the accessories, sadly I never got to operate it before selling.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2021, 09:35:41 AM »
Nice. My father gave me one of those coal loads. Made allot of noise when running. I had three of the coal cars that where shaped like a big red V. I don’t remember the number but they worked very well. The tray sort of popped back and forth which was the loud part. I ran it so much I broke the belt? Was sure allot of fun.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2021, 04:18:10 AM »
The red dump cars are 3659 or larger 3859 if prewar version and 3559 if the postwar version.
You can see 3859 dump cars in action with different pre and postwar loaders in my youtube video.... "Santa's Naughty Nice Coal and Lumber Co on the Lake Shore Railway".

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2021, 03:49:03 PM »
Yes Jim. Those where the coal dump cars I was talking about. I had some just like yours with a 225E engine. I also had that caboose  you have in your movie. Sadly I just found out this week my daughter has sold her house down the road last week. Her husband came to Florida and packed up all the trains and took them to Seattle. Looks like they will stay there until they retire.

I also have the same coal dump car but post war and it came with my 224 that my father gave me in 1946. Some years later I got the coal loader. When I started collecting Lionel in the 1980's I had your prewar tower coal loader but mine you had to hand crank it. It was very nice. Looked great on my Louisiana layout. Wish I had keep everything but that's a flaw in me. I lose interest and after a while I sell them. Like now I'm putting all my RC planes & helicopters &  quad's on ebay. I have to many toys. and at my age it's time to thin them all out.

I watched the Santa movie again Jim. That’s a great movie. Better talk ti the engineer about the egg nog!

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2021, 05:20:17 AM »
I think most of us have the same issue, not necessarily a problem. Lack of space, interest or funds to buy "the next big thing" causes us to thin-out our collection and move on. I have found that is a way to refine your "likes", as the items that you miss the most, must be what you liked the most, so you go after the next one you see, and this time you keep it.

I try to add some comedy to most of my videos, helps keep it fun. It is also a way to treat bloopers, because after-all 50 to 100 year old toys can't be expected to operate perfectly. I had problems with the horizontal reverse unit in the 0-6-0 switcher. After a stop, it took enough voltage to advance the E-unit that also energized the motor before the E-unit can give it the command to STOP. This made for difficulty spotting cars at the loaders. I would have to re-energize the track so the RCS would work and dump the car. So, it became comedy.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2021, 05:45:31 AM »
Well I think it’s one of your best videos! But all your videos are supper good.

I don’t blame the engineer! I love egg nog!!!

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2021, 07:27:00 AM »
Thanks, in this video I also operated most accessories for the first time, other than just a bench-test. It makes you realize the real challenge that a 13-year old faced in the 1930's to 50's building an operating layout, and keeping everything running. There is no education toy as superior as a train, and developing it into a layout. I have to tune-up my 165 magnetic crane, and see if I can make it work as advertised in the catalog. Do you think Lionel will take it back if I can't????????

cndctr111

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2021, 07:50:21 AM »
Away from the hubbub lies a quiet sanctuary known as Liberty Park.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2021, 05:03:02 AM »
Nice landscaping, would like to see more of this layout.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2021, 06:51:19 AM »
Me too.

cndctr111

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2021, 12:58:21 PM »
Some other photos:
1) Construction site
2) The perfect fishing spot
3) There's always work to do in the railyard
4) Hobo village