Discussion Boards > Layouts

Terry's Standard Gauge Layout

(1/18) > >>

Terry:
You all keep asking me what the white posts on the O gauge layout are for. The standard gauge goes up there.

The goal with the standard gauge layout is to showcase the neat Lionel trains and accessories from the classic period. Basically  the brass trim items from 1924-1935, but I do have a few later nickel trim trains and accessories. 

The layout will be tiered with a pair of wide radius ovals around the outside with parking sidings on the long faces, and then about 3.5" higher two smaller layouts with a river separating them.

You can see the wide radius curves in the lower photos. That's 72 and 84 inch diameter track with a 72 inch MTH switch.

The smaller layout closer to the stairs will have the Lionel Plots and 922 scenic park along with a big station and stuff.

The farther smaller layout will have more industrial stuff like the roundhouse and power station.

All the wood is cut, drilled and painted before going downstairs which adds a lot of time. The wood that is currently up is the used wood from my dad's layouts. A lot of it is warped and twisted and can't be used in long spans so I cut it up for a shorter spans.

Here's some pictures:

Here's some of the lights and such for the layout with the 3 sections of the 920 scenic parks below:

Here's a shot of the work in the garage. That's new lumber i bought today for the longer runs. That will do the raised yard and industrial area.

I should have the layout decked by the end of the month.

I don't know what I'm looking forward to more. Either getting the boxes of trains that are piled up everywhere emptied, or running the big trains.

pjdog350:
I would have allot of trouble covering up that beautiful O gauge layout. But you are a great planner with all your train activity. I know what you are doing is going to be top level stuff. The folks I’ve met on this forum really are impressive. Looking forward to seeing it come together.

Thanks for sharing your progress.

starfire700:
Agreed about covering up the O gauge layout.
Terry, is there a way you can design your track plan for standard so at least some areas are on an open grid of supports, so the layout below is more visible, especially at edges and corners?

Terry:
It's high enough that you can see everything. I also like the idea of making people work to see everything. I have planes and a blimp to hang from the wood to block sight angles.

On Miles Butler's layout, I spent years adding small details like moving clowns and working windmills. Miles would walk people in the door, start the trains running and then walk them around pointing out each detail. I used to joke with himthat we'd hang arrows from the ceiling to point at interesting things.

This is Miles' layout:

https://train99.com/layouts/miles-butlers-dream-high-rail-layout/

Looking at the pictures of Miles' layout reminds me how much I learned on that. We spent months figuring out how to do great lighting for night scenes. I spent 2 or 3 nights a week over there for 8 years.

starfire700:
Some great landscaping, level transitions and especially like the engine yard, TT and roundhouse.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version