Discussion Boards > Layouts

Terry's Standard Gauge Layout

<< < (2/18) > >>

Terry:
Miles had me helping him because he'd broken both knees in WW2 and 50 years later he just couldn't walk anymore.  He used an electric scooter.

The roundhouse is one huge building - it had a full interior that wasn't visible - on a sheet of plywood that fit into a cut out on the layout.  Miles built it from a Buildings Unlimited kit and some extensions on a table in the workshop next door. Then we used the scooter to bring  it in because it was too heavy to safely carry and shift through the doors. It was a full four hours to put that one building on the layout.

The turntable was by Diamond Scale and had a Bowser indexing kit. You turned a rotating selector to the track you wanted, selected the direction of travel, and pushed start. It would grind it's way around to the right track and stop.

pjdog350:
That’s real impressive. You must have been real happy to work on such a layout!

Terry:
Here's this weekend's progress on the standard layout. I ripped wood with the table saw and then painted it on Saturday so it doesn't look like much happened, but on Sunday I put all the sticks in.

The two sides of the layout are divided by a river. The river will run at the lower level with the two hellgates on the raised level.

The front edge of the layout will have two thru tracks and a long passing siding I can park a long freight on. Should be 16-18 feet of straight siding there.

I decided to add a siding along the west edge so I can park a work train on it. This will be the only parking siding with a bumper.

Here's a view from where the hinged bridge will be into the control area. The two lower loops go over the hinged bridge and along the wall where the TV and tools are now.

I need to add some cross braces in areas where I will be climbing up when trains derail. Then I can put the sheeting on. 

pjdog350:
Thanks for the update. Looks like a real professional job. Still hate to see the o gauge get covered!

pjdog350:
How is the Standard gauge addition coming along Terry?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version