Discussion Boards > Layouts

Terry's Standard Gauge Layout

<< < (18/18)

Terry:
I can only do 12 photos per message so here's some more:

I thought this rubber mat would look cheap, but it came out nice. Lemax makes 3 styles of mat so I can do some more when I find more. I'll add a bunch of figures.

Here's a shot of the next layout in the series:

I started unpacking last night and was amazed by the quality of the trains.

Terry:
I added a bunch of trees, people and animals, and some clutter to the standard gauge layout.

I added the under shelves for figures, but the one end is near the Marklin layout so I put trains on it.

I ran all the trains on the layout today for visitors except the coal train and the Blue Comet. The 392E and Flyer freight sets ran without problems. The  blue and alum 309 cars ran well. The State set derailed on one switch three times. The  402 and 380 sets each derailed once for no reason. The 9 knocked a bunch of items over that I'd put too close to the track, but otherwise ran well.

Here's some pictures of the current state of affairs:

CNJRR:
Did you spend a lot for the RR signs in the last picture? Marx right?
I use to buy those till everyone thought they were gold, I refuse to finance those sellers. I have not looked for them for a while now.

You said in a post the some figures won't stand in the grass and you used card board.
Another option is to try clear plastic from things you buy in packages. There are different thicknesses some work better then others.
I use them for my O gauge people, where ever they stand on your (dirt, grass, whatever) the color of the dirt or grass makes them blend in nice, you can hardly see them.
And I can move them around the table easy. I don't know how they would work on standard gauge people.

Nice pictures, you do have a bunch of trains! :)

Terry:
I've been putting the Marx signs aside for years to paint them and put numbers on themto show blocks and switches. I think I'll just use colors with slashes on either round for switches and rectangular for blocks rather than numbers because that makes them easier to understand from 15 feet away.

I got some upholstery tacks for use under the trees. The tacks go into the celotex easily and are easy to glue onto the bottom of the trees.

Tacks won't work for figures because the bases are too small.

I'm thinking about shoving pins into the bottoms of the figures and using hot melt glue to hold them. Some have hollow legs. I think I could also bend pins twice and them glue them onto the figures.

The hot melt glue sticks well, but peels off easily without leaving a mark. I have trains that had hot melt glue on them for 35+ years and the paint has been uneffected.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version