Discussion Boards > Layouts

Jim's Layout

(1/21) > >>

starfire700:
This is Jim,
I have removed all the "stuff" from my layout that was there as staging for YouTube videos and am back to finishing construction. I had to remove part of the upper level structure so the perimeter could be painted green. I mix sawdust in with the latex paint to simulate landscape/grass. My Dad taught me this trick in the 1950's.

starfire700:
Having problems getting photos to acceptable size, will try again later.

Terry:
Jim, I moved your layout post into it's own thread. This way in six months your progess will be easily seen.

I'm trying model this board after a VW board that works well.

You mention grass is sawdust in paint. I have questions. . .

I was looking at your gray ballast. Is that just sand in paint?

I tried some playground sand and white paint. I painted the area where the track goes and then poured sand on. Then after it dried, I vacuumed up the extra sand and painted over it again. I tried it with and without masking tape, and the tape is better.

Is that what you're doing?

Terry

starfire700:
I have been away since this morning, but now will get back to trying to get photos uploaded.
To answer your question, the gray paint under the T-rail is just dark gray paint, no sawdust. I am making ballast by screening driveway fill. A lot of work but good results.
I have not been masking any areas, just hand-painting to keep it natural. My benchwork is 30" high, basic 1x4 frame with 1/2" plywood. I covered the plywood with 1/16" cork to hide seams and to help control noise.

starfire700:
Photo of layout with staging for videos removed, ready for painting and upper level construction.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version