Author Topic: Jim's Layout  (Read 65688 times)

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
Re: Jim's Layout
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2020, 08:45:08 AM »
A closer at the work train, track crew and foreman, who are "social distancing", shows that 2 workers are related to one that Terry posted under another topic.

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2020, 07:10:18 PM »
On the layout my dad and I built when I was in High school there was a British man in an overcoat. We called him the spy and the game was if I found the spy and he wasn't where I put him, I'd move him. After I moved him it was my dad's turn to find and move him.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2020, 05:08:34 AM »
Funny you should mention that. I thought of placing a Louis Marx or Marxie figure in all the progress photos I take........sort of like a "where's Waldo" thing.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2020, 05:36:30 AM »
I have been making progress on small details on the layout. Attached are photos of a transition track I made to mate T-rail with a UCS operating track. No such track was made for T-rail. Also shows a T-rail/UCS section that I made many years ago, to look like what Lionel "should have made". This is too time consuming, as I need several UCS operating tracks in the yard area.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2020, 05:41:52 AM »

Also here are 2 photos of my finished ash pit on the loco storage sidings. I have even figured out how to power the conveyor with the original 397 loader motor, but must put that project on the side. I have major items to complete, so I can get back to operating and video production. Most of my layout is tinplate type accessories and details, however I do like a degree of scale/highrail details and landscaping. On certain items, such as the ash pit, my "scale-self" gets carried away. It will be great for photo and video opportunities, and works well with Hudsons and other scale/semi-scale equipment. 

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2020, 01:34:07 PM »
Jim - I think the UCS on the rails looks best.

Why use the 027 adapter section? Can't you just connect the T-rail plates and joiner directly to the end of the UCS section?

There's probably a simple answer for that, but I once spent hours opening up 260 bumpers and soldiering extensions on the bulb wires so I could make the lights work on constant power rather than track power. Then someone asked me why I didn't just soldier onto the pickup strip and put  cardboard between the strip and the track.

If all you need are actuating rails, can you do super 0 parts on masonite or plexiglas cut to fit between the ties? I wrote that thinking about the super O parts like in the picture below, but maybe you could use the running rails from super O track?

The ashpit looks neat. That's the fun stuff. That's what makes your layout YOUR LAYOUT.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2020, 03:32:47 PM »
Thanks for the comment on the ash pit.
The merged UCS/T-rail piece was time-consuming to make, but does look good. It was tricky getting the operating rails at the right level so they contacted the truck shoes.
I am making the transition pieces, as an 027 rail is easier to drill for the bolts than the rail on a UCS / RCS, also some pounding is necessary to get the railhead to mate with the T railhead, difficult when mounted to a bakelite base. The transition pieces were the most efficient alternative. I will paint them black and sand the railhead so they do not stand-out against the T rail.
The Super-O operating rails might work, but again precise alignment to engage the shoe could be difficult. It just seemed that a method that allowed un-modified UCS /RCS tracks to be used, was the best.

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2020, 08:19:48 PM »
For just the rails wouldn't the easiest way be to glue a right angle of brass stock to a strip of insulation (fiber or styrene strip stock) , and then glue the insulation to the ties. Just cut a wood strip as a spacer off the center rail to locate it in the right place.

Or again for just the rails - how about the track clips that come with the barrel car? OTC?

I'm thinking about this because it's a way to put off taking the axle off my toy car so I can replace the oil seal behind the CV joint.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2020, 08:31:47 AM »
I have tried an OTC. It works only on sections with a tie removed and would require 2 for most cars that require bot shoes to contact the operating rail.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2020, 10:36:35 AM »
Some recent progress on my layout, the Lake Shore Railway
I found a spot to construct a mountain, actually a small hill, over the reverse loop

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2020, 10:43:31 AM »
Completion of the 072 upper level loop over the standard gauge loop.
Also overall view from the entrance to the yard

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2020, 04:37:56 PM »
Looks good Jim.

Is that a Marklin roundhouse? My dad had a lot of European trains, but they went to settle his estate.

I picked up paint yesterday at the city recycling place. They had carts of glues and stains and dyes that were free for the picking. I grabbed  some india ink and some cartridges of construction adhesive. If you have a place near you, you should see what they have. I know I saved at least $100  on paint by going there and it was a close as the Home Depot.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2020, 04:52:23 AM »
I believe the roundhouse is Marklin for 1 gauge, but I removed the track and will have a standard loco poking its nose out. I have some euro accessories, none in the condition of my Lionel and AF accessories, but will still look good for a Euro area on the standard gauge side. I have a couple of long/narrow Kibri stations with clocks and glass windows, will look good with lights in them.
I have just about finished my painting, except for the mountain/plateau under construction. I was going to top it with Lionel houses, but Deb suggested some ceramic Halloween Lemax buildings that we have. One is Frankenstein's laboratory, will look cool on top of the hill.

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2020, 12:23:04 PM »
Others would think you're in an enviable position of having so much to play with.

Being there myself I understand how hard it is to figure what to use, and where.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2020, 03:32:10 PM »
It wasn't always so. There were a lot of lean years when it came to funds for addition to the collection. I am finally able to enjoy it. This is the last layout I will ever make, so I am incorporating everything that I can and like to show it off.