Author Topic: Jim's Layout  (Read 95511 times)

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
Re: Jim's Layout
« Reply #75 on: March 16, 2021, 04:59:58 AM »
Most of the individual boxes you see are empty, the trains are on the shelves. About half of the set boxes have trains in them, others are on the shelves. I never seem to have enough shelf space.
One of the 116 double City Stations I had put away, because a previous owner had painted the roof black. It was otherwise very nice, but it did not display well. I recently got another 116 that just needed cleaning, got the idea to "double-stack" them to cover the black roof. I may try to justify the upper station by running an elevated CTA train past it, if I can find room for the trestle supports.
Your reference to selling the tank car box.......some boxes are worth more than the train inside.
Years ago I went to a Stout auction that was all a west-coast collector's EMPTY boxes. I remember that the prices were going so high that Greg kept reminding us that the boxes were EMPTY, no trains. After the auction I talked to the collector who's boxes these were and he figured that the trains that he still had were almost free, now that he sold the boxes.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #76 on: March 16, 2021, 05:04:54 AM »
Regarding the broadcasting lights.........
I can not see the effect just with the eye, and this is the first time I have noticed the effect on pictures.
The pictures were shot with my Samsung phone and I had LED can lights overhead that were slightly dimmed.
I will have to experiment to see if the dimming or the LED cans, or combination of the 2 caused this.
No matter, I am pleased with the effect.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #77 on: April 03, 2021, 05:23:13 AM »
I am attaching some pictures taken recently of the Lake Shore Railway Layout.
I have the majority of buildings and lights wired, and the layout is in a "degree of completion".
Some areas may look cluttered, but not as cluttered as reality and the scenes work for close-up video.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 03, 2021, 05:35:39 AM »
WOW - You have a great train collection. Beautiful!!! So much! It’s all very impressive!

I sure love your movies. I’m going back for a third look at you last movie. You have to watch them More than once to really see it all. Maybe that’s one of the things that make your movie so great. There’s so much to see. While your looking here something goes by that you miss.
Stay home with your trains and be safe
Life is better with a Dog

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #79 on: April 03, 2021, 01:42:01 PM »
That is cool Jim.

I bought an HO layout and trains a few weeks ago, the guy had a Bottom Creeper which is a rolling platform for under the layout and instructions for a topside creeper which I didn't get.

Neither would work for me, but the Topsider might be useful for you.

Only $269 plus shipping. 

https://www.micromark.com/Topside-Creeper-Step-Ladder-Support-System

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #80 on: April 04, 2021, 11:56:12 AM »
That topsider is a good idea.

cndctr111

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 04, 2021, 03:36:48 PM »
Love the Louis Marx figure, never knew they existed, are they hard to fin?

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #82 on: April 05, 2021, 04:53:01 AM »
The original LM cigar-pose figures and small Magic Marxies from the 1960's are quite hard to find. I have some 1990's production, made by Marx in Miami about 1990, made from original molds. We usually have some up on ebay (JDPLTD). We worked with Marx Toys Inc, when we licensed and produced Marx Trains from 1992 to 2004. Let me know if you don't see them, and are interested. Jim

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #83 on: April 09, 2021, 04:57:07 AM »
My most recent video tours all of the right-of-ways on the Lake Shore Railway.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 09, 2021, 05:33:51 AM »
I watched this one several times. I noticed you have some little dog house on your layout. So cool.
Thanks for all your movies. Sometimes I get up and just watch movies rather than run my trains. I love them all!

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #85 on: April 09, 2021, 11:44:49 AM »
I believe the dog houses are Brittans, also have quite a few figures of dogs. I know that you are very attached to dogs, have you seen the video I did on "Dogtown" ?
Here is a link if you have not seen it.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #86 on: June 29, 2021, 05:07:32 AM »
I have not posted anything lately to my layout thread, as the main changes have been just the addition of clutter in the form of more buildings, figures and vehicles, probably some different trains too.
I did recently add a small platform at a junction on my upper level to hold a new station (new to me, about 100 years old actually). It is a cute little station that I researched and found-out it was Bing HO or 00, but works for O-gauge if I raised the front edge slightly. I was attracted to it because of its distinctive roof trim that looks like dragon's tails. I featured this station in a video, see what you think. Thanks.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 29, 2021, 05:16:43 AM »
It's a great video Jim just like all your videos. I would not call your stuff clutter. It all flows very nicely. I love your layout. I watch them all the time. Even to old 'Hole in the wall' videos. Wish there ways more of those available?

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #88 on: June 30, 2021, 05:10:12 AM »
Clutter is just a word, implies how close items are to each other and how many. It works for some close-up video scenes, but usually items get moved around for the next production. When I step back and look at the overall layout, some areas do look relatively cluttered. It is just a matter of taste and perspective.

I was glad that I did get my first Gopro in time to preserve the Hole in the Wall layout, before it had to be demo'd so we could sell the house. It had its good points, but like most layouts was never finished. The current layout, the Lake Shore Railway, is by far my largest and also the closest to completion, however I am sure to keep changing things around.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 30, 2021, 06:22:20 AM »
I love your layout. I’m jealous!!