Author Topic: Double headed steamers with a pusher  (Read 15646 times)

pjdog350

• View Profile
Double headed steamers with a pusher
« on: February 21, 2021, 05:59:07 AM »
You guys are very good and making things work. Do you think we could do a double headed steamers and put a pusher on the back like UP did to get over Sherman Hill.

Maybe have the last steamer with the head light, smoke unit but reduce the power to the motor so it’s being pulled?

Another challenge.
Stay home with your trains and be safe
Life is better with a Dog

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
Re: Outlet headed steamers with a pusher
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2021, 04:49:52 AM »
I considered that and will try. I think as long as the pusher loco is matched to the head-end locos (slippery SS drive wheels, not iron or Magnetraction) and there are no lightweight cars such as late postwar with AAR plastic trucks in the consist......it should work.

pjdog350

• View Profile
Re: Outlet headed steamers with a pusher
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2021, 09:48:04 AM »
Yepper. I think it should be do able

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
Re: Double headed steamers with a pusher
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2021, 05:04:37 AM »
I ran some push-pull trains, shorter than the ones in my video, had no derailments.
1. 2025 and tender on the point, 9 short boxcars, 675 and tender pusher, 2 bay window cabooses. My camera car is in the consist ahead of the 675.
2. 2338 GP7 on the point, 9 #6464 boxcars, 2338 pusher, bay caboose.
Attached are some photos, I have to shoot some video.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2021, 07:20:23 AM »
Howdy Jim:

Are you going yo make a video of double heading & a pusher?

I’d like that!

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2021, 07:24:02 AM »
I’m starting a 675 X 2 with tenders and a 224 as a pusher. With 15 6456 2 bay hoppers and a 6457 caboose. Then a 224 & tender with some 6465 2 dome tank cars?

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2021, 04:31:21 AM »
The video I am working on has 2 power units on 2 trains, steam and diesel. Each train has 1 loco on the point and a pusher in the rear followed by the cabooses. I will have views as the trains pass the camera and some chase scenes where the trains play tag, catch-up then slow down. I have about 25 min of video shot, need to cut it down to about 10.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2021, 04:43:47 AM »
looking forward to seeing that. I got another 224 yesterday plus USPS delivered a pilot for the 224. I'll make a front coupler for the 224 so when it arrives I can do double heading with 224's and have a 224 to be a pusher behind a double headed 675's. I think the 675 & 224 have the save motor? so they should work well together? Maybe ?

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2021, 06:19:12 PM »
https://youtu.be/wOBCHByfHTo

The push-pull video is published on youtube.
I have 2 trains running, chasing, passing and pacing each other.
Both have just 2 locos, one front, one back.
Both trains have just 9 cars. I did not want to push my luck and have any derailments.

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2021, 09:14:36 PM »
I started the video and the dog runs in from the other room to bark at the trains.

Neat stuff Jim. The loco coupler looks great from above.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2021, 01:48:09 AM »
Great video Jim as always. I love to see your videos. The camera car is so impressive cause I can see the thousands to trains you have all around on shelves. Plus the stuff on the layout. Can’t say enough about it!

Thanks for it.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2021, 04:39:21 AM »
Thanks for comments, good to know that efforts are appreciated. Being in a remote location, Western KY, this is the best way I can share my trains.
The camera car was an easy build. I removed the operating platform from a 3461 diecast log dump car, stabilized the trucks with washers, added a wood platform to the top. The camera mount, for my GoPro, was made by Ram, found it on Amazon. It has universal type adjustment for any angle. I added some weight and painted it black. I think I have a photo that I can post. I have to watch clearances on the right of way, as it tends to hit station roofs, overhead walkways etc.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2021, 05:10:08 AM »
attached are some photos of my camera cars
the 3461 with Ram mount and a 6561 depressed diecast car I use for some different angles

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2021, 05:13:53 AM »
Guess I was typing while you where posting you camera cars. Thanks for that!

If you have some pictures of the camera car I’d like to see them. This morning I got the 259E back together. I hate it when I have parts in the box and I think I’m done. It tells me I need to made a video of the part where I take it apart. ??

I was running the 675’s doubled and a turbine going the other way. I was thinking how I’d like to see the engines smoking from the rails and thinking of your camera car. I was trying to think what I have that I could make a car like that. 

I’m all caught up now that the 259 in running. I do have a 1675 coming. I hoping it does not get sent to Canada or Mexico before it gets here. USPS is still having problems. The 1675 has been restored (red) but I’ll redo it in dark red. The 259 & the dark red cars look nice to me. Of course a person that knows prewar well will know I’ve got the color wrong.

Watched your pullers & pushers several times last night. I got up @ 3.43 AM. After getting the wife together again I could not get back to sleep. So I did the IPAD with O Gauge train movies.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2021, 11:01:50 AM »
Good timing I guess.
Something about chuffing real trains always puts me to sleep. Toy train videos often do the same thing.