Author Topic: Triple headed Lionel postwar O Gauge  (Read 23699 times)

pjdog350

• View Profile
Triple headed Lionel postwar O Gauge
« on: March 21, 2021, 09:52:47 AM »
Two 675's and one 224 triple headed.

Stay home with your trains and be safe
Life is better with a Dog

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
Re: Triple headed Lionel postwar O Gauge
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2021, 12:20:24 PM »
You have a FIRST there. I haven't done a triple powered train yet. The video does look better with the camera stationary, not being held.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2021, 01:32:07 PM »
I had the camera to low? I think I can link the camera up to my phone with WiFi? That way I can see what its looking at?

I found your editor, tried to down load it but my Microsoft account is messed up? I know what mt pin is I need it every time I log on? When it rains it pours? Think ill go back to sleep.

The triple runs great. Melted wires on two tenders whistles? I need softer wires I guess?

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2021, 04:33:19 AM »
To get the GoPro app on your phone, if you have an android type (not apple), go to apps, then Google playstore and search for the GoPro app, should be free. This makes it much easier to see and control what the camera is doing.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2021, 04:37:24 AM »
Thanks Jim. Doing that now.

Made two movies this morning but the camera was not high enough. With the app it will help allot.

Like anything that you try the first time it took a while for me to figure out how to get the phone a old hero 3 to hook up but finally I got it done! Should make things easier. Maybe!

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2021, 11:06:00 AM »
Have you considered using one of these adapter couplers?

I shot some pictures with a 700E and a 2456 hopper to try to see the drop on the coupler above:

Can't even guess.

The top of the 700T coupler shank seems to be at the same level as the top of the coupler on the 2456.  Maybe he's showing it upside down in his picture?

Here's the eBay listing:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2207-Lionel-Custom-700t-Hudson-Tender-coupler-Offset-Down-for-w-postwar-cars/193963570518?hash=item2d29213556:g:SagAAOSwu2dgUIH1

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2021, 04:35:29 AM »
Terry, is that coupler a Madison Hardware creation, for their 700T tender to couple with postwar cars. If I remember, Madison made their 700T for customers who wanted a scale size tender for their 773 Hudson.
I have a 700E Hudson that I think is a 700EWX. It has full scale trim and blind center drivers. I do not have the correct tender, or at least not the correct coupler. A reay
 went through Stout years ago (Don Hagar?), but I did not get a chance to examine it. Curious if there is just a modified manual hood coupler for the EWX tender or if the coupler pocket is also modified. I hope someone knows the answer to this.
I just found Don's video that includes the 700EWX and although he does not show the underside of the tender, he shows it coupling to a tinplate car, and it just looks like a manual rib-top hood coupler.

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2021, 12:44:33 PM »
Jim - I think that's a Madison coupler on eBay. I built a 700K with 763 drivers years ago and Don ( I think it was Hoppe, but Hagar might be correct) replaced some drivers and sold me othe parts I needed. He didn't say I needed anything special for the tender, but I planned on putting it with Rail Cheif cars and the cars have a scale coupler on the head car.

https://train99.com/prewar-0-gauge/lionel-700k-scale-hudson-kit-1939-42/

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2021, 03:21:19 PM »
Yes I am sure it is Don Hagar, he has some Youtube videos of running and repairing Hudsons.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2021, 04:39:19 AM »
Strange thing is happening when I try to triple head the postwar 675's and a 224? The consist of 6456 two bay hoppers keeps coming uncoupled. If I remove the 224, which is at the back of the triple heading all is well?

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2021, 04:46:33 AM »
Is it always the same car? Does the knuckle stay closed? Try removing it from the consist. One coupler could be slightly bent-down and the extra force from the rear allows the mating coupler to rise over it and escape. I have had this exact situation. If the jaw is opening, that coupler needs adjusting or replacing. It could be multiple issues.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2021, 05:14:14 AM »
I'm always is a hurry Jim. I should have said that the cars are always derailed back maybe 10 hoppers from the tender of the trailing triple. It does seem to be the same black car. I'm wondering if the 224 is jerky. I thought maybe I'd move the 224 to the middle of the triple heading?

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2021, 04:57:33 AM »
I put the Lionel 224 locomotive in the middle of the triple header. All is well now with no derailments. The train seems to be at different speeds as I watch it. I’m thinking it’s because as the train runs through the curves it causes speed differential?

That would be a question for a rail engineer I guess?

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2021, 05:24:10 AM »
I hope to have a movie of the Postwar Lionel 2026’s triple headed. They are all ready except one 2026 needs a new smoke unit. Liquid! Should be today

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2021, 03:32:11 PM »
Finally got the 2026 Lionel 027 triple headed running today. I was hoping to get all three smoking together. But seems like it's always something messing me up. First video the lead 2026 was not putting out smoke. Turns out the piston was not going up and down. There is a spring in there so I guess it was just stuck. Fixed that then the newest locomotive was running out of fluid. That's when the lead locomotive started really smoking?