Author Topic: Lionel 2026 buy  (Read 26882 times)

pjdog350

• View Profile
Lionel 2026 buy
« on: March 25, 2021, 10:01:32 AM »
I was looking at Lionel 2026 locomotives to make another double header. I found one that looks good. Has a beautiful tender with hand rails everywhere. Tender looks new. Seller says it ran for a few seconds then quit. Light works, smoke works, has all side rods. Only thing that I could see was the Lionel 027 tag on the skid plate was missing.

2026’s prices are all over the place. I want a low dollar one I can restore to perfect. And double head.
I bid $ 41.00. Then forgot about it as I was thinking about maybe some 2023 alco’s?

Turns out this morning EBay said I won.

A complete postwar 2-6-2 with tender and all parts are there for $ 41.00 plus shipping. My lucky day!
Stay home with your trains and be safe
Life is better with a Dog

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
Re: Lionel 2026 buy
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2021, 03:46:38 AM »
Sometimes you can get lucky on ebay. It seems that I usually am outbid in last seconds, no matter what I bid.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2021, 11:50:27 AM »
The 2026 I thought I had a super buy got here today. It's junk. Guess I got my 41 dollars worth. The 2026 has a very poor smoke unit design. The pump is driven off the one of the geared wheel with a cam inside the drive wheel. I remember when I was a kid my dad had a very hard time trying to replace the flapper. When I was in my twenties my folks wanted to give the 2026 train set that was mine to my nephew. While he had it the plapper failed again.

This engine has the same sticky stuff all over it. It's like almost dried molasses. It's all over the motor, inside the casting, under the pilot, wheels are stuck. E-unit was real hard to open. I'll get it fixed but it's going to be a long job. There's allot more trouble.

It's in the mineral spirits now soaking!

Up side is the tender is awesome. Well worth the 41 bucks I paid for the mess. There is no number on the tender so you guys will have to help me identify what it is. Has hand rails everywhere and in mint condition!!

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2021, 12:17:50 PM »
Just looked up the flapper for the 2026. There are Three (3) different flappers for the 2026! My original and the two 2026’s I have now are the old style flapper. I found that the old style is in short supply. I did find ONE at TrainZ in Buford Georgia which I have bought from before and they are very good! So I’ll hope for the best!

I should probably do the latest 726 style as the old style keep breaking!

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2021, 05:01:05 PM »
The next time you get one of these locos with the crud on it post pictures.

I bought a whole box of beat up and broken locos today. These were in AZ since the 1960s, and even as bad as they look, I bet they mostly run as is. During my quick glance I didn't see any crud on them.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2021, 06:48:02 PM »
Is there a 2026 early motor with nickel rims. I’d be interested in it.

Mine is acting just like the other three that had all the crud on them. I’m thinking the motor is insulated at the brush posts. That’s what the 259, 675 had. But I really don’t like this motor. It’s a magnet traction motor. I want nickel rims!

I did think about posting pictures of the sticky engine. But thought it might be stupid idea.

I went to ebay looking for just a motor. Most look like more trouble. Did see one I may bite on? The auction is for 2 more days. I’m watching it!!

I really don’t like all the stupid things I see in the motor I have. I found two pieces of wood in it like bracing? WTH. Also the way they brought the power up from the slide shoes and really botch up that area. Probably will have to replace the hole pickup assembly? I just don’t like this motor at all.

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2021, 07:53:09 PM »
Here's a good 2026 loco for you. Some kid put decals from a car model kit on it, but otherwise it's all original and works.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/363335682221

That's my auction. There might also be one or two in the boxes of crap I got today. I'll have those sorted tomorrow afternoon before that listing ends, and let you know.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2021, 08:11:52 PM »
This one does not have nickel rims!

But thanks for the thought here! Let me know about your motor pile you just got?

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2021, 09:41:06 PM »
I looked in the big Greenberg book. The one I have listed is a Korean war issue from 1951/52 that is not the same loco or boiler as the ones you have with nickel rims. Nickel rim ones were 1948/49.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2021, 03:55:10 AM »
Thanks for the info.

The 1948-1949 had three (3) different smoke flappers. I was looking for the early 2026 which had the early flapper. I think that the flappers are all able to work in the same loco you just need to be able to modify the pilot (steam chest). I got this info from the Greenburg repair and operating manual. Page 137 & 147. The early flapper was very poor and was prone to failure. This is the model 2026 I had as a kid. Mine smoke flapper failed the first year I had it. My dad was not a repair guy. Smartest man I very knew but could not fix anything. I’m NOT smart at all but have the ability to fix stuff. I fail reading a manual but if I see a diagram I can fix it?

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2021, 03:30:47 PM »
There were two 2026 locos in the stuff I bought yesterday. One was another of the korean war issues like the one I linked to earlier.

This second one seems to be what you are describing:

This one runs well, and the reverse works. The smoke doesn't work, but the beloows is blowing air through the chamber. (I put a pinch of smoke pill crumbs into the stack and they were blown out.)

The smoke unit either has a bad element or has a bad wire to the element.

This is the normal state for used trains I buy from the public. I can see that someone was inside this loco because the wires to the brushes are pinched between the body and the motor with a peice of cardboard stuck in to prevent shorts.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2021, 03:37:25 PM »
I want it. I’m not sure I have your email address for payment. That is the one I want.

I’m assuming we will do like we did on the track.

It looks real good to me!.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2021, 03:59:02 PM »
This is the nice tender I got with the 2026 engine I got this week. Motor is a mess but the tender is real nice. Plus the whistle sound great. The tender was worth the money I paid. Plus I got a good engine casting and trucks and side rods.

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2021, 04:19:25 PM »
That's the better tender with verticle handrails. That came with a 675 or a 671. I see your email.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2021, 04:38:40 PM »
Just let me know what you want and I’ll paypal in the morning.

There’s no number on the bottom of the tender. However it looks original. Frame paint is not perfect but I’m not going to mess with it.