Author Topic: Tender Wires melt when double heading  (Read 7954 times)

pjdog350

• View Profile
Tender Wires melt when double heading
« on: April 11, 2021, 05:00:45 AM »
When running the double heading engines I've been having issues with the wires in the tenders melting? At first I just cut the wires out so I could continue with the double heading project. But now that I'm getting the double heading thing working pretty well I what the whistles  back. It appeared that the weight on the tender couplers caused the area where the wire solders to the back truck to be pulled so low that the wire was touching the axle. Or at least the axle with the coupler holder. I made new wires and put a insulator on the back of the truck where the wire is soldered! It's working out well. No melted wires now while doing the double heading.
Stay home with your trains and be safe
Life is better with a Dog

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
Re: Tender Wires melt when double heading
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2021, 04:18:01 AM »
I have also had that problem, putting a tender that has not been serviced, behind a loco. The brittle wiring may look ok, but after a few curves the insulation breaks off and you have a short. Also had that happen with some cabooses. An quicker alternative to replacing the wire is to disconnect it at the roller and add a sleeve to protect where it goes through the hole in the frame, then re-connect. 

pjdog350

• View Profile
Re: Tender Wires melt when double heading
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2021, 04:53:33 AM »
The first time I noticed that problem it to was a 6457 Caboose.
Stay home with your trains and be safe
Life is better with a Dog