Discussion Boards > How To and Technical Information

Fixing bent diecast steam loco cab roofs

(1/1)

Terry:
I bought this really clean 226E earlier this week from the original owner's son.

I have a 226E on the layout that my grandfather bought for my dad for his first Christmas in 1939, which I'm going to put on  a shelf by my dad's other trains.

I'm going to put this on the layout - it is gorgoeus, but one cab roof corner is broken.

Usually to repair these, I put the corner on the corner of a sturdy table and push down with my palm until it's bent back close enough.

I was wondering what other people do for these?

pjdog350:
Howdy Terry. I’ve pulled several of these worse than that one. I put them in the oven at 200 degrees for a while. Then very slowly with a little pressure pull it up with smooth sided pliers. Easy does it. You may have to heat is several times but I think it will come out. To much pressure to fast with break it off.

You must be gentle.

I’d love to have that!!

AT4:
As someone has also posted you need to heat the bent portion of the cab roof. I use hand held bottled torch. You gently heat and then bend. You must do it all very slowly and don't use metal tools that will leave a mark. I use blocks of wood and plastic hammer etc. Of course you will have to re-paint that section of the roof. Its all trial and error. Sometimes it works and sometimes it does not. If your intrested in me trying let me know but I cannot gauantee anything.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version