Author Topic: Favorite Train  (Read 20825 times)

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
Favorite Train
« on: June 13, 2021, 02:13:51 AM »
Here's an article I wrote for the local club.

My Favorite Train

People come over and ask me “What's your favorite train?

I could point at this 1909 Lionel steam loco and claim it was may favorite, but that would leave out these little locos from the late teens and early 1920s:

There are a lot of them so they must be special to me. I bought the first one in 1972 from the neighbor. I was nine-years-old. I spent the decades since searching out the different variations, but now they just sit there.

And what about these 33 locos? They fascinate me. I have over two dozen of them, and I keep finding new variations. When guests ask about these locos I can see their eyes glass over as I start pointing the differences. Come to think of it, these are usually the last trains I show people when they come over. As a group, they are neat, but individually they are boring.

This fancy black loco with it's walnut display board must be special because it has a place of honor over the door. Nope. That's more of a train my dad liked so I keep it.

Based on the way these cars are jammed into the shelves, they probably aren't special.

This big American Flyer loco is neat. It has bell in it and goes ka-DING. . . ka-DING. . . ka-DING as it goes around the layout. Of all the American Flyer trains I have this is certainly my favorite. But I doubt it's the most favorite. The dog really likes this one because it's loud, but she can write her own article.

Here's another loco on the layout:

This 392E is special. It's the first standard gauge steam loco I bought. It came from John Hammons in the mid 1980s. It has a mechanical sound system Lionel called a “Chugger” and I added an American Flyer smoke unit. It has had a place on every standard gauge layout I've ever had. While it's certainly A favorite, it's not THE favorite.

When I'm honest with myself, my favorite train is “The Next One.” It's the search for something interesting that drives me.

What's your favorite train?

pjdog350

• View Profile
Re: Favorite Train
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2021, 04:02:31 AM »
Great post Terry. I like all your trains.

Let's see you layout. It's been a while?
Stay home with your trains and be safe
Life is better with a Dog

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2021, 05:17:36 AM »
I think the concept of a "favorite train" is ever-changing. It could be the one you just got, or the one you pursued forever and have not yet got.
My favorites change when I take one down off the shelf or out of a lugger where it is hiding, get it ready to run, on the track, then hit the throttle. Like a kid I still get my eye down at track level, or maybe let the GoPro do that for me as it is easier on the knees. When that train goes past, in that moment it is my favorite train.

However, I probably do go back to certain ones. The top contenders for me would be the No6 with 2 #29 daycoaches that I got from Lou Redman in 1981, or my 700K Kit Hudson with a string of scale freights 714, 715, 716 and 717.........or maybe my red 450 610/612 Macy set, my postwar 2338 Milwaukee Rd freight set (my first Lionel set in 1955) or maybe.........It is just too hard to narrow it down!

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2021, 05:44:08 AM »
OK, this is really a tuff question.
It is definitely a Hiawatha set.
Or maybe a prewar Marx Army train.....but which one?
The Lionel North Shore Limited in apple or later Girard green has always been a favorite.
I think I know why I have too many trains.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2021, 12:21:41 PM »
Holy Cow!

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2021, 02:14:28 PM »
Yes I forgot to show them but we do have cows on the layout. You can see them in the Yankee streamliner video. Ha Ha Ha.

early0electric

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2021, 06:30:33 PM »
That's easy, it's my 703's. No! Wait! I love my 203 Armored Loco outfits especially the one from Tony Hay. Hmmm...my Butler Brothers outfit is Sweet, but so's my 1915 boxed 70 Outfit! Look at those Brown roof 820's and the dk olive ATSF! I forgot my boxed 1917 166 Outfit! Wait a minute, wait a minute, what about these...and THOSE! I give up. Hard to be partial when there's a good story behind so many.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2021, 06:56:57 PM »
My favorite is the Lionel Lionchief plus Mikado 2-8-2. Great puller, great smoker and will pull running very slow?

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2021, 09:39:34 PM »
Show us the Butler Brothers outfit Mike.

early0electric

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2021, 10:47:54 PM »
Terry, I have it posted under Collector Corner, DSS Outfit.

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2021, 09:32:30 AM »
Ok. There's so much interesting stuff posted here I forget some.

early0electric

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2021, 11:25:58 AM »
You're right about that. There's stuff all over this site! It's hard to keep track.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2021, 04:21:03 AM »
There certainly is a wealth of information posted in the last year, all someone has to do is dig-in and look for it.

early0electric

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2021, 03:22:17 PM »
Imagine how much there would be if we didn't have size limits on pics!

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2021, 04:28:08 AM »
Agreed, the resizing process and time that it takes has limited the pictures that I post. I have too much lawn to mow this time of the year!