Author Topic: Introduction New Member  (Read 7354 times)

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
Introduction New Member
« on: May 07, 2020, 04:36:29 AM »
Hi My name is Jim Flynn. I have collected trains seriously since the mid 1970's, but have loved toy trains since I received my first Marx set in 1955 and first Lionel set, a 2338 Milwaukee GP7 freight in 1956. I joined LCCA in 1975, TCA in 1977 and later TTOS. I have had an eclectic collecting history that included Marx. Lionel, Am Flyer and even some European trains. I fondly remember the hectic late 1970's to early 1980's when the Chicago area had a train, toy or antique show every weekend. My Wife Debby and I licensed and produced tinplate Marx Trains from 1991 until 2004 when we sold the company. We are now retired in a new home on Kentucky Lake. I now collect "trains that I like" which includes O and Standard gauge of most makers. I have pre, post and modern trains, I like them all. I am building my dream layout in a 30 x 50' lower level and have started doing YouTube videos of the construction and progress.
I will post some pictures shortly when I figure out how to do it. 2020 is a great time for toy trains, as they work well with being quarantined at home. 

tinplater

• View Profile
Re: Introduction New Member
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2020, 06:11:14 AM »
Hi Jim, remember vividly meeting you and Debbie for the first time at a Rockford Illinois train convention.  I bought a wonderful Marx clock work Army set in the Army box from you and still enjoy it. 
Was thinking of you just yesterday as I found 5 tin sheets of New Marx rolling stock lithography.  Have had them for decades, never got around to displaying them.  Almost tempted to get out the tin snips and make the cars, like the paper train.  However with my skills that would be a real disservice to your lovely production models.
Paul Wassermann

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2020, 07:49:48 AM »
Hi Paul, Good to hear from you. I read your post to Debby and she says same. We do go way back.
I would not advise cutting-out Marx car-bodies into anything but pieces to frame and display. If you do, make sure you have plenty of Bandaids handy.
The forming and piercing operations required would be near-impossible without the dies and a 100 ton press. Jim

tinplater

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2020, 02:04:17 PM »
Jim, another use would be to provide "thunder" for stage productions.  For youtube I would prefer the digital type.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2020, 04:28:06 AM »
Good idea. Also if you are building an addition on your house and need more ductwork, they could be bent into box-shapes.
Seriously, framing is the best use for wall-art.
Speaking of YouTube, I have done some videos, see link below for latest video of Lionel Streamliners on the Lake Shore Railway. Others available if interested.

https://youtu.be/GI7rZWLxv-g   

You may need to copy and paste this in your browser, as it may not be a hyperlink in this format.
Jim