Author Topic: Introductions  (Read 20639 times)

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
Re: Introductions
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2021, 04:00:54 AM »
Welcome Dino, good to have another "Marxist".
My first train, about 1954 or 55, was a Marx 400 with 6" tin litho cars, also remember having the litho tunnel and circuit breaker. Next year I got a Lionel freight with a Mil Rd 2338 diesel. At that point I was hooked, joined LCCA in 1974, TCA in 1977, then TTOS, collected Lionel, went back to Marx, produced new Marx Trains from 1992 to 2004.
Now have a layout and produce youtube videos of Lionel, Marx, AF etc. After all those years of dusting trains, now it is more fun to run them, so the dust doesn't have a chance to settle.
Hope you explore the Forum and find the great wealth of information that has been assembled in just a short time.

AT4

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2021, 02:41:31 PM »
Hi everyone. Just signed up. Looking forward to commications with everyone. I collect, sell, repair post war Lionel. I also have operating layout......not finished of course LOL its always work in progress and when do you find the time???? I have nive parts invintory, wheel press etc. Its not a business but a hobby. I learned repair work from watching a friend for many many years.

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2021, 04:19:49 PM »
Welcome. We can always use more advice on repairs. Some members ahve ongoing progress reports on their layouts, you can start one iwth your layout.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2021, 05:05:42 AM »
Welcome AT4 good to have new members. We look forward to your input on repairs and other subjects. Some of us also have operating layouts and we try to encourage each other. I take Youtube videos of mine, attached is a link to my latest. There is a lot of great info here on the Forum, so do some browsing of the many subjects covered. You will see a lot of Prewar Lionel, but we welcome more posts on Postwar and other trains. I operate Post and Pre Lionel, plus Marx and other trains on my layout.
Welcome aboard!

https://youtu.be/6s-4Qiys7cU

AT4

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2021, 05:33:28 PM »
Thanks everyone. Looking forward to it. I just finished repairs on MARX 999 for someone. Neat little loco. I also liked the Video. Great job filming.

early0electric

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2022, 03:54:30 PM »
New blood is always good! Hope you enjoy the forum.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2022, 04:46:44 AM »
Hope to see more comments and introductions here.

CALNNC

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2022, 07:35:55 AM »
Hello all.  This is Charlie in Western NC, joining after seeing the flyer in an Ebay purchase.  My first set of Lionel was for Christmas in 1957, which I still have and run.  Of course as a kid I 'modified' the loco, which I did not put back right until 1980 or so when I could find the pilot truck I had removed for some odd kid reason.  When my closest childhood friends moved away...to Brazil when I was 7, I found in their backyard, the only turnout I ever owned, and a Sunoco tank car in the dirt, have them still.  I never knew one of my uncles was into Lionel until he called one day and said he was sending me his trains.  I received a large lot of 1950's O gauge track, turnouts, cross overs, locos, steam and diesel, and freight cars, plus some LCCA specialty cars, all shipped via the Greyhound bus, in their original Lionel shipping boxes.  By this time I had 2 sons and the dining room floor was the 'train room' where we could leave it set up except for Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas, where a smaller version went around the tree.  I've never owned a house with a garage or basement, but, when all my kids finally moved on and made their own lives, I laid claim to an 11X14 playroom with dormer ceiling that is 6'3" in the middle and about 60" around the long sides, I built over my 'garage'.  I don't consider the room called the garage on this house a garage, unless this was 1922 where I could park my Model T in it, because that is about how big it is.  I can only stand up in the middle of the room, otherwise, I scoot around on a wheel stool.  So, I have an around the wall double track layout still in various phases of completion and maybe one day will post it here.  Not really a collector, like to run them, and really like to find the things I want, without the boxes. I watch the various sell sites, use Greenberg's and what things have sold for to figure out if the seller is anywhere near realistic, many are not.

CALNNC

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2022, 07:44:20 AM »
Forgot to mention, my wife bought a set of pre-war cars and a loco from her friend as a b'day gift for me.  I have been constructiong a 30X60 inch layout just for them using a plan I found online that just seemed like a neat layout.  Pic attached.  I had to replace the loco drive wheels, they had the zinc rot problem, and I found a couple more cars and a freight loco to add to it.  Think my ebay purchase of a prewar car is the one that came with the Trainz99 flyer.

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2022, 07:45:18 PM »
Welcome.

The little layout looks fun. You might want to consider putting the two parrallel sidings about 14" apart so you have room for a 97 coal loader or 164 log loader.

We should have some new people this week as I found a backlog of emails with requests to join the forum.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2022, 04:19:01 AM »
Welcome Newbie, always good to hear from someone new. You will find a wealth of information here, just go exploring. Your comments, stories and photos are always welcome.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2022, 08:19:02 AM »
Welcome CALNNC:

Glad, to see another new member. Terry & Jim are full of toy train knowledge. They have always helped me.

I love your introduction story. That’s one of the best things about toy trains from the old days. It’s how we came by them and how we spent  our time playing or fixing them.

Jack
Stay home with your trains and be safe
Life is better with a Dog

T-man

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2024, 06:43:58 PM »
Hello All!
 I just got approved and have not even looked around yet. I will give my Lionel story.
You see, I was too young to get it so my oldest brother received a Super O set with the Mopac AA units 205. i was old enough to see it set up on the ping pong table and did get a few lessons on the throttles. I was an early preteen when the set was given away to in laws and I was into slot cars at the time.
 Big brother was in the navy and finding out what happened did voice his disagreement.  Years after the fact it was returned not sure when, but it was about the time when the Wilmington Train Show was young. He was in college then. I do remember and being amazed at all the trains.  The most impressive site was the Prewar of course.

My story begins in college where I met my wife and she introduced me to antique shops. One of my first purchases was three tin cars, The Babe Ruth car, the red caboose and I think the third car was a metal tender. That started my collection.

CNJRR

• "The Biggest Little Railroad"
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2024, 12:09:41 PM »
Welcome, the site is slow right now.
Post away.  ;D