Author Topic: Recent Additions  (Read 151447 times)

early0electric

• View Profile
Re: Recent Additions
« Reply #180 on: July 15, 2023, 08:40:40 AM »
Terry,

The first post under "Recent Additions" was yours and also a Black reverse lettered 33! So you have 33, 33'S?

Mike

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #181 on: July 15, 2023, 08:36:09 PM »
The first recent additions post was on May 5th 2020. That's the black 33 with reversed letter shown with this new black 33.

I've bought at least six 33 locos in the 3 years since May 2020. Now I have thirty-three different variations.

I offered Mark Boyd an in depth article about them, but he says the TCA members aren't interested. I'm going to write a book about the 33 locos. I have all but 3 known variations - dark blue, 1910 round cab, and red no cream stripes. I know people with the blue and red locos, but not with the 1910 round cab. I'll start on the book next year.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #182 on: July 26, 2023, 12:27:15 PM »
Mike, Nice Olive garden article in the latest TCAQ.

early0electric

• View Profile
« Reply #183 on: July 27, 2023, 08:34:56 AM »
Thanks, Jim. I liked your article on the 87 Rheostat. I also liked the large pictures. So much easier to actually see what one is looking at.

early0electric

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 03, 2023, 12:50:31 PM »
Just picked up a couple of great additions:

Original Lionel Racing Automobile Outfit Instruction Sheet. Never seen one before!

Lionel's 1st "short" loco Outfit 160 with dark green 150 and matching 600 Pullmans.
This dates to late 1917 - early 1918. The 1st Outfit 160's had the "long body" 150. Same size as the 700.

Found and bought off eBay. I contacted the seller and learned these were purchased from an estate sale.
Good Stuff is still out there!

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #185 on: August 04, 2023, 05:40:17 AM »
The green 150 set is nice. That same seller had a nice race car set. Just one car and an oval of track. That's where your instructions came from.

I haven't bought anything in a while. I upgraded a boxcar, but nothing interesting.

early0electric

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: August 04, 2023, 07:35:26 AM »
I bid on that car and track, too but came up "short."

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #187 on: October 07, 2023, 05:48:02 PM »
Here's my new 706 with gold vents. I wasn't going to buy one of these because everytime I saw them for sale they were expensive. At this point, I'd rather put the money toward buying a neat trolley, than get another dark loco. I paid $650 all in for this auction lot:

The yellow loco is a MTH and the Marx locos are common. Maybe $150 back for them

The Lionel 249E is in great shape, and the tender is cleaner. It's a 1939 era loco that came with low coupler 2651 series cars or maybe the 2717 litho cars in an uncataloged set. Easily worth $125.

Here's the 706:

The camera really picks up the dirt. The lettering is quite nice though. If the other items sell for what I expect, I'll have $375 into it. A fantastic price. I'm happy.

Here's the auction:

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/158630882_train-engine-lot

The set was well packed, and they followed my instructiuon to wrap the loco so it was not in contact with bubble wrap. It took me a month to get this set! It was worth waiting for.

early0electric

• View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 07, 2023, 09:40:35 PM »
Terry - Nice 706! Always hard to find especially with decent rubber stamping. I'll be at YORK and hope to get something to post here by the end of the month.

early0electric

• View Profile
« Reply #189 on: October 22, 2023, 12:29:08 PM »
Well, I'm home from YORK. I had a great week meeting up with friends and also managed to come home with a couple of jewels for my collection.

First is a 150 in Olive. No surprise as I knew it was being brought for me. Still, great piece and glad to have it.

Now THIS is my YORK find! It's a 153 with gold handrails and no reverse. It couldn't have a reverse as there is no hole punched in either end for the reverse rod to come through! So I guess it's a 152 stamped 153. Also the NEW YORK CENTRAL LINES printing is double stamped on the one side.

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #190 on: October 23, 2023, 01:54:20 PM »
The olive 150 is wonderful. I have a bunch of odd colored 150 locos, but not that one. Now I know to look for it.

The 153 is neat too. I have a 153 in gray that has no hand reverse as the holes have paint in them. I think it's a 152 with the wrong number on the side.

Great Finds. It's sad to go all the way to a train meet and only bring back a few items, but you get to socialize and the items are special. I'm always dumbstruck when people show me the milk car they got at York.

early0electric

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: October 25, 2023, 07:52:17 AM »
Terry,
Sometimes I think it's crazy to spend all that money to go to YORK and come home with so little. But there's no train meets here in the area. I suppose I could save the money and just buy at auction but the early O stuff I collect just doesn't show up. So I go and treat it as a vacation and a chance to get together with friends and hope for the best train-wise.

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #192 on: October 27, 2023, 02:41:59 AM »
I need to do an LA show. I visit collectors over there when I go to the shows. Last time was the TCA convention in 2021.

It seems like the online auctions go in waves. Maybe that's a good thing as it allows for the saving of money to buy better items. 

I talked with a guy a few weeks ago with a mid-teens Lionel passenger set, and asked what else he had.  He texted me photos of the control board. I spotted the gem below and told him it was a shame it was repainted because otherwise I'd buy it.  He said he didn't want to throw it out because it's so old, so he sent it to me as a gift.

Packed it was 11 pounds.

It's a slate top transformer. I think Type K from 1914-18 or so. There should be a decal on the top under the control lever.  Neat.

early0electric

• View Profile
« Reply #193 on: October 28, 2023, 07:50:04 AM »
Terry, What you have is not a K. It's a 106 as shown and described in the 1913 catalog. Nice acquisition!

The 106

Type K

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #194 on: October 28, 2023, 02:59:07 PM »
That's neat. The TCA blue covered book shows a type F on page 219. It has a similar top to mine, or the 106 in your catalog segment. The F is not listed as cataloged until 1931 so that might be an error.

I bought this today:

Gordon Wilson and I play a game to see who can find the rarest train at each train meet.  This little bin would surely have won if Gordon had made it to the meet.

It's a 160 bin that was packed with a 3659 dump car in 1947 because Lionel had no bakalite bins. It's actually an unfinished tray from a dump car. It's the 2nd I've had and maybe the 5th I've seen.

Paul W~~ and I used to play Most interesting item found in the bottom of the box.  This tray would be a good story, but not in my top three finds.