Author Topic: Recent Additions  (Read 104354 times)

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
Recent Additions
« on: May 05, 2020, 10:35:57 PM »
This thread is a place to share recent additions to your collection. Tell us why you bought the train or how it fit into your collection.

You can upload pictures easily with the Attachments and other options tool right under the post box.

I'll go first. . .

Here's a Lionel 33 loco in with the LETTERING REVERSED on both sides. This loco also has a strap headlight.  Most black 33 locos have pedestal headlights like the one in the background of the second photo.

I have three of these  6th versions with reverse lettering.  Dark green with both sides, Dark grey with one side and this black with both reversed.  This version  dates from 1918 to 1922/23. (6th Version is Straight frame with 4 die cast wheels, With or Without Reverse, With binding post, With corp plate on end door, stamped stanchions, Strap headlight, Tab couplers.)

Terry

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
Lionel 16 dump with PRR and NO data
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2020, 09:32:45 PM »
I got this neat car. Just says Pensylvania R.R. with no number or data stamps. It's Maroon with black details and I think the lettering was gold, but has aged.

No Lionel name on the car, no 16 number either. I don't have this PRR stamp on any other car. My old Greenberg book lists this version so it's not unique. Just a little odd. 

early0electric

• View Profile
Re: Recent Additions
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2020, 02:01:01 PM »
With Oct YORK being cancelled along with local train meets there isn't really much opportunity for new recent additions. I'm sure everyone is scouring eBay for something to add to their collection. Other than that, the auction houses are the only source of something new.  Major dealers aren't posting much if anything on their websites. I check Willow River (Don Lewis) and Train Collectors Warehouse (Ed and Doug Prendeville) but don't see much if anything. Perhaps others on this site could post links to other dealers who have items for sale.

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2020, 07:10:14 PM »
I just looked at everything listed on eBay in the standard gauge category that ends in the next ten days. I do this every week looking for cars with interesting lettering, and anything else that catches my eye.

For the last three weeks I've seen nothing I wanted. I guess I'm going to have to start collecting Carslise and Finch trains if I want to be able to buy trains regularly.

Seriously, I think it will be like this for months, then we'll start to see trains for sale and maybe prices declining But the prices for what we want won't decline because there are still fewer trains than collectors.

early0electric

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2020, 04:00:55 PM »
I somewhat agree. There may be more dedicated collectors but like all collecting, collecting is not as popular as it once was. The circle of collectors has diminished and I think we all know we're only bidding against a chosen few. Granted the amount of trains is still the same or increased because of the passing of collectors but I don't think the number of collectors is being back-filled. With conditions as they are, disposable income isn't as available these days for most. Common stuff is plentiful. You can tell by the box lots at the auction houses and what's for sale on eBay. Rare stuff will always be sought but the competition isn't what it once was so prices will be down.

early0electric

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2020, 02:41:55 PM »
Recent additions are few and far in between these days. I'd like to add something but the stuff I collect is just not out there. Not everything I'm looking for should command big bucks, it's just not available. I'm not dead yet so there still is time. Turning 70 soon so... I keep looking.

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2020, 05:23:35 PM »
I bought this a few weeks ago:

Neat cars. Loco does not go with those cars and is common. I probably paid too much, but that coach is hard to find, and I need cars to go with the locos I already have.

I bought that from Stout. That's his photo from the listing. I sent a check to save 3% on buyer's fees. They won't pack until it's paid so once the check clears they'll pack it and send me a second invoice for the postage. Sounds weird, but I get Yahoos every week who buy from me on eBay and don't pay.  Sometime this week I'll pay the shipping and it will go into the mail.

I also bought this neat train on eBay in a buy it now a while back. 

Then a few weeks later I found the matching cars for it in another auction:

You can't see them well in that picture, but they are the early cars with red primer, perforated steps and the platform like the 36 in the picture above. They are in poor shape, but for only $250 for the set I couldn't pass them up.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2020, 04:23:27 AM »
Nice early stuff. I did not realize you had that much early standard.

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2020, 12:53:52 PM »
I'm thin on the trains from before 1913 other than the 33 and 38 locos. Marty Visnick has been telling me for years to stop buying variations of the common locos and instead buy one or two nice things a year. This year I've been following his advice.

early0electric

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2020, 03:20:19 PM »
We get too soon old and too late smart...

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2020, 06:04:53 PM »
Last month I posted on the auction thread:
Here's a few lots of neat standard gauge. Some is repainted, some is original. Someone in the Northeast should go look and bid on it. Of note is the  112 gondola with Pennsylvania on it - I think I have one, but can't find it. A 400E and tender, Pea green 38 that might be original, an olive 42 with strap headlight that is probably repainted and more.
https://www.liveauctioneers.com/catalog/178589_autumn-fine-estates-auction/?terms=lionel

Don Lewis bought some of the trains and sent me the boxcar and gondola. The olive 42 wasn't repainted, it was a late corp. model same color as the common 33 locos. I thought it was repainted and by the time I asked about it, he'd offered it to someone else.

Here's the boxcar which has MFG stamped into floor:

Here's the gondola which has no Lionel markings whatsoever and could be from any period between 1915 and 24.

I still think I have the gondola around somewhere, but might be thinking of the 901 O gauge gondola.

Since this was just cheap stuff, I had Don ship it by Fedex to my PO box using the street address and unit 34. Fedex delivered it and Alice at the Post office signed for it and put it into a locker for me. I had a buyer last week in Ware MA who lost a fedex package off his doorstep  to "Porch Pirates" even though he was home because fedex just dropped it on the porch and left. They don't even ring the bell because some sick person might answer.

A few months ago,  I bought something else and it came in FEDEX signature required and the driver just left it by the door. The guy in MA now has his packages sent to the nearby Walgreens. I write his phone number on the box and the Walgreens worker calls to let him know they have something for him.

early0electric

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2020, 04:44:53 PM »
The 152/154 came today from Tony Hay. How nice to receive it on my 70th Birthday! Ugh, who wants to be 70? Anyway, it's very nice, great RS on both sides. Original wiring. Looks like the original owner added a terminal connected to the rear door window to use a lighting kit to illuminate passenger cars. What a great piece! No reverse as expected. This is the 3rd one I have of these so I don't think it was a mistake. I believe they stamped 154 type bodies 152 and didn't add a reverse for some length of production. Love that tipped light-bulb!

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2020, 08:38:47 PM »
That's wonderful. . .

You have three of those now?

Do you have a peacock 150? I have two of those.
Maybe we can trade?

early0electric

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2020, 09:36:07 AM »
Thanks, but I have a really nice one.

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2020, 01:12:55 PM »