Discussion Boards > Collector Corner

American Flyer Wide Gauge Steam Locos.

(1/2) > >>

Terry:
I've been playing with the video camera and doing some simple things so I can learn the editing software. I just rewheeled and serviced the cast iron 4670 loco and decided to do a video showing the different types of valve gear.

The earliest valve gear was a simple straight valve rod. The picture below shows the loco I rewheeled. I should have bought the other rods and done the who set up.

The picture above shows the smaller ex-IVES cast iron body. This simple set up was also used on the diecast steamers like the 4692 below with the triangular valve gear:

The most deluxe FIVE PIPER locos had lots of added trim and usually had Walschaert valve gear. The rods are much more involved. Here's a 4694 deluxe loco:

Here's a video showing the 3 locos running:

//www.youtube.com/watch?v=54TDj0qQCGc
Two notes. . . I don't have the correct tender for the cast iron loco. The five piper loco shown above is brown without a green stripe. Usually these are painted the same way as the 4692 loco shown.

starfire700:
I have a boxed Piper for sale, also am keeping one that is restored, because it was re-wheeled with cast iron drivers from a Lionel 42. With those wheels it has great traction and can pull a bunch of cars. The smaller cast iron Locos are also great pullers, as they are heavy. I always thought the AF wide gauge steamers looked more realistic than Lionel's 384 through 400E series.

CNJRR:
What is the noise in the back ground in the video?
Sounds almost like a cow mooing? Goes moo moo , but more of a maw maw.

Terry:
Those are cows. They're in the stock car and happy to be going for a ride. The next stop is a big lot where they can eat as much as they want.

Next door to the feedlot is a building we won't talk about:

It's a QSI cow sound module from an MTH car. I had a Lionel sound module too, but it only does one Moo! every 3 seconds. The QSI module has 8-10 different sounds and plays them randomly. In the video the module is under the paper in the gondola. I've since moved it into the boxcar before the cattle car, and I have a bunch of cows to put in the cattle car.

I also have QSI glass breaking and horses snorting sound modules, but I haven't found them yet.

CNJRR:
Ha Ha Ha I thought they were cows mooing.
I never saw that, I mainly shop older train stuff.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version