Author Topic: What are these parts?  (Read 11020 times)

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
What are these parts?
« on: May 17, 2020, 02:32:59 PM »
I'm sorting parts.

I found these and don't know what they are:

Big double selenoid was rivited to a base. Maybe a flyer standard gauge switch machine?

The small handrail stantions have two holes for rails. They are nickel. The parts I was sorting that was in go from mid teens to about 1985. Could be from anything.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
Re: What are these parts?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2020, 05:29:55 AM »
I have never seen the double-hole stanchions, possibly from one of the German manufacturers? Some Marklin, Bing etc stations had closely spaced handrailings, but these were usually soldered in-place and painted.
The double solenoid, looks like it is from a bell tender or a semaphore. The rod with loop on the end is similar to the attachment in a Lionel 80 or 82 semaphore, but the solenoid and bracket are different.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2020, 05:43:35 AM »
I may be completely wrong about the solenoid. It may be from and Am Flyer loco with bell or remote reverse. The blackened bracket suggests mid 1930's or later and the crumbling white wire insulation further suggests AF.

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2020, 10:50:04 AM »
I'll put them aside for now. I wonder if I could fit the selenoids into a lionel 82 Signal? I don't like the way Lionel signals work. That might be why I kept this. I think that's what the box of 1950s HO switch machines is for.

Patmarklin

• Markin 1 ,O gauge. Some Bing. Lots of spare parts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2020, 06:44:04 AM »
Could be early Marklin or Bing switch solenoids.  Can definitely work for electrifying Marklin manual switches, especially the cross-overs.  The railing brackets look like Marklin style.  Some of the high-end locs have fancy piping in addition to handrails.  Check the treading.  If nothing fits then it can be Marklin.  They used proprietary threading with sizes like 1.8 mm.  Very unusual. 
Patrick