Author Topic: 6044-1x nestles boxcar  (Read 12186 times)

Brian Miller

• View Profile
6044-1x nestles boxcar
« on: February 12, 2022, 03:38:33 PM »
Does anyone know what set the 6044-1x nestles boxcar came in?  The lore is that it was a Chicagoland area grocery store. The Schmidt book doesn't list this car even though it is supposed to be 1961.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
Re: 6044-1x nestles boxcar
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2022, 04:39:51 AM »
It is my impression that the Nestle's McCall boxcar was an individual promotional item that was received by clipping a coupon in McCall's magazine for Nestle's chocolate products. A good Chicago area friend, Chris Rholfing had one, but sadly Chris is no longer with us. Chris would have known that answer. So I don't think there was a Nestle's McCall's set. I did a quick scan of the Promo-set book by Schmid, and did not see any reference to this car. Will have to do a more thorough check later.

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2022, 12:48:32 PM »
Here's the car Brian is talking about:

I just bought that this morning. A woman called on Friday afternoon and told me she had trains - Cities Service tank car worth $600, a pork and beans car, a pair of 242 locos, some missile firing cars and some little autos on flat cars.

I almost told her to give the trains to Goodwill, but she then said she had a car that said Nestle's Cocoa on the side! She said she could have her daughter send me a photo with her phone.

Figuring I could tell her I wasn't interested after I looked at the picture I gave her my cell number.

Here's the photo:

In the photo you can see the McCall's car, a red auto on a brown flatcar and a brown auto on a gray flatcar. There are also three set boxes and some other trains in the background.

I met her halfway and bought the trains today. Two of the set boxes are the 19142-100 Pork and Beans sets.

One is shown on the left in the photo below:

Here's a close up of the Van Camp's Pork and Beans set:

That means the trains I have left over should be the McCall's set

Or - If Jim is correct - the  McCall's car was NOT in the set so the set is in the foreground and the car was extra like this:

Here's the instruction sheets one is generic set 1119-10 dated 5-60, the other is 246-7 dated 6-61:

Because I got two 242 locos and a 246, the 246 sheet has to go with the set that does not get a Stokley's car. The Instruction sheet says the 246 has magnatraction, but this one and the two 242 locos don't have that.

The extra set box is different from the Stokely's box. The Stokley's is a St Joe box. The odd box is a Owens-Illinois.

Unfortunately the odd set box has shipping tape over the number area.  There is a postage label on the box, but I can't read it.

I didn't look at the transformers, but there are two 1010 35 watt transformers and a 1026 25 watt. So the 1010's  must go with the Van Camp's sets.

Update -- According to the Schmidt book on page 247/248 Uncat outfit X-604 from 1961 contains all the items I have outside the Pork and Beans sets except the McCall's car.  Scmidt's book seems to imply thet both the instruction sheets go with the X-604 set.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2022, 04:18:01 AM »
You might check to see if the seller was ever in the Chicago area, as I also believe the McCalls car was locally available.
When Chris' wife sold some of his collection, she got well over $1000 for the car, EX with an overstamped 6044-1X box. At one time choice examples went for more. I think the price cooled-down because the cars were being faked with copies of the label glued on.
I am relatively sure that Chris got his in 1961 through the McCall's Nestle offer, so he knew the real history.

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2022, 10:57:11 AM »
This car came out of Ohio. Republic, Ohio to be more specific.

I like doing this research -- it's a fun part of the hobby.

PS. Great job Jim.  I'm trying to get Brian to give me a state green 408E for it. Telling him it's worth a grand gets me closer. I might have to throw in the brown auto and the rare cities service tank car.  Thanks.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2022, 03:19:37 AM »
I haven't seen one sell for about 5 years, but sure it still has some value.

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2022, 12:08:41 AM »
I got a Chun King Boxcar earlier this week. It's not a rare as the McCall's, but is one of the harder cheapie boxcars. I don't think I ever had one before.

And here's a common Airex 6044 boxcar. This and the red baby ruth are the commonest small boxcars.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2022, 04:43:33 AM »
Wix is the other tuffy of the small boxcars. I never collected these, but they do go for some big $$.

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2024, 04:07:11 PM »
Here's an interesting 6014 style car.

Plain white with no lettering in 6014-335 box.  The 6014-335 is a white bplastic car lettered for Frisco from the 1960s. This might just be a factory error car.

Here's Stout auction:

https://www.invaluable.com/auction-lot/lionel-postwar-6014-335-white-boxcar-no-stampings-1d747a79fe

Interesting.

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2024, 11:22:05 PM »
Here's an interesting car. Unlettered blue boxcar. Might be a 6044-1X McCalls without the stickers, or just a blue Airex with no lettering.
It appears to be the same as the McCalls car shown in an earlier post.

This came from an estate with many trains so I can't tell what set it came with. I was looking at boxes of junk when I saw the blue car. In the same box was this unlettered olive 6076 hopper:

I bought all of it for these two cars.

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2024, 09:20:46 PM »
Here's a 6024 red boxcar with no lettering. I sold a 6014 baby Ruth Boxcar years ago that had lettering only on one side.

Ebay auction:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/204749935066